Improved import module

Wolfgang shared this thanks 1 week ago

Thanks for the redesign and speed up of the import feature, that's great :)


Maybe a redesign of opening a database could also be possible once. That's often a problem with big databases.


Wolfgang

Comments (10)

photo
1

Good day Wolfgang,

hehe fine. Improvements in design were more quick changes then something serious, anyway on background (in code), I made quite a lot of changes and speed and mainly stability should be noticeable.


What is a problem with bigger databases on your device? I'm currently not aware of any serious issue. Well, in case of 100+ MB big database of tracks, app may starts to be little slow in certain situations. Is this what you mean?

photo
1

Hi Menion,


I didn't mean the startup which also is a bit slow but this is usually only once a tour.

I mean when I open a folder of Geocaches this is (very) slow. I've setup approx 20 folders. I just activate this one I need for the moment.


When I now looked into the file structure it looks like all folders are in one single database file. I always thought one folder is for one database. This database has for the moment approx 350MB the tracks DB has 100MB.


The waypoints database changes all the time. Before every tour I replace the whole content of one folder. At the moment some folders have not much data inside, so I guess the DB usually has 400MB or more.


Thanks Wolfgang

photo
1

Hello,

ah 350 MB .. never saw such big point database. Now I understand you feel that app may be slower when working with database.

Here it's really hard to help. Such huge database is close to some reasonable limits of Android system and I'm sure, you belong into 1-2% percent of users whos database is so huge.

Anyway really simple solution does not exists on side on Locus, only on your side > remove data that you really do not need.

We completely updated database structure few years ago and more and more I have another bigger update in my head. Anyway cannot promise now when it will come and if it helps on your problem, sorry.

photo
1

Hi Menion,

on my other device where I usually not use locus I have a 240MB database which one is also slow.

Not sure if really so less people have similar thick databases. I could win some Geocacher to use locus and I think it's more common in the Geocaching community. Only anonymous statistics could help here.

My DB contains:

My found Caches with just one log. Then some folders with a different number (up to thousands) of caches. And every cache has 20 logs. That's it ;) I guess the main problem are the log entries for each cache.

I don't know if a compact could help, because I change every week a lot of entries. I did not yet find a tool to compact it.

I took two screenshots of my structure there are still some other folders but these only contain a handful of points. It's just to give you an overview of my usage and how I know others use it too.

Thanks Wolfgang

photo
1

Hello,

from this "thanks" topic, we are slowly creating common "issue" topic, never mind :).

Surprising values still ... as I see, my database has around 1500 caches and around 5000 common points and size? A little less then 20 MB!

I know there may be many precious information for you, but if you can imagine it, may you share your database with me on my working email jiri.mlavec@asamm.com? Cannot promise it will have any effect, but I may at least test if current older system is on edge of it's performance or if there is any option how to improve it at least little bit. If not, I perfectly understand.

Thanks and nice evening,

Menion

photo
1

Hi Menion,


yes I already thought by myself that the thread got another direction ;)

I just send you an email. To your mentioned address.


Thanks Wolfgang

photo
1

Good day Wolfgang,

thanks for a database, it was useful and you may delete it from Dropbox.

I've tested it on my device and I was able to speed it up little bit. Main problem was enabled sorting by name. When you change it sort by distance, it should be a lot faster. This is anyway improved now.

On my SGS7, open of your biggest folder with almost 10k caches is quite fast, around 2 seconds. A lot worst it's on older Galaxy S2, where I'm on almost 50 seconds and 95% of this time is on reading data from database itself, where I see no space for improvement now, sorry.

photo
1

Hey Menion,

thanks a lot that sounds great :))

Good to know that there is a difference in the sorting option. I switched now also to 'by distance' and that speeds it up 4x to 5x quicker.

I don't expect the same speed for devices like the Galaxy S2 - fortunately I don't have one ;) But it's great that you still support these.

Thanks Wolfgang

photo
1

AWSOME I'm speechless. I just did the lasted update and opening one of my big folders is increased by velocity of light.

MANY MANY THANKS AGAIN !!! :)))))))))))))))))))))

photo
2

Hehe, good to hear it :). Well it's probably also because of switch to "sort by something-other-then-name", anyway some smaller changes were made and seems that effect is noticeable :). Enjoy it!

photo