Keep hacking! Focus on map sources and usability.
Thank you for another amazing year. Your app is great and reliable and feature rich. So where do you see the future?
I think the next two topics will make a difference: maps and usability.
What is the most important on any map app? Obviously the maps.
Your strongest asset is your vector maps. No outdoor competitor can beat it! Pretty lucid styles of the maps getting closer to bitmaps every year. Now even with an offline POI search.
- Focus to make them even more close to bitmaps by making them easy to read.
- Make them a default choice for anybody who don't know which map to choose.
But what if the OSM vectors are not yet enough? What about Alpine routes, glaciers and peaks where the orientation is critical? People want to buy the maps for reasonable price, but why nobody sells? Make your other revenue stream from high-quality maps:
- Make a deal with Kompass and Alpenverein summer/winter maps to resell them for a reasonable price. Ape@map sells all Alpes for < EUR20. No-brainer if it is easy to buy in an easy to use app!
- Partner with Tabacco, IGN, Swisstopo and other major map creators.
- Make Locus the ultimate Map Store for outdoor maps. There is not such a thing yet! Map providers don't have a great map reader to offer and they are scared to sell online because they are scared of piracy. But nobody will buy if nobody will sell...
It is unbelievable what Locus can do. But did you test it with unexperienced user? They struggle with basic jobs like choosing the right map, downloading for offline or search. You should focus to make the basics usable by anyone.
- Usability will increase your customer base and engagement
- Get inspiration from mapy.cz. Amazingly easy vector maps! But they cover only one country. The rest is waiting for you.
- Together with Map Store it will bring you a great revenue stream and allow you to invest more in further development.
- And to us, it will bring finally an easy way to use outdoor maps offline anywhere.
Looking forward to 2015. Keep going!