Is it possible to create an account in the locus to synchronize data between multiple smartphones?
Good day Ilnur,
this feature, even it belongs to one of most wanted by our users , is not yet implemented in Locus Map. Sorry to say it, but there is unfortunately currently no simply solution how to achieve this task.
@Ilnur - one option is to backup all on 1st device (from Locus), then copy somehow to 2nd device, then restore (from Locus).
Try using Resilio Sync application. You have to connect a Locus directories each other between devices.
just be careful with any alternative methods. It may work well for maps, but definitely not for points/tracks. Syncing of points/tracks databases cause complete overwrite of data stored on device. So for example if you copy or restored points/tracks databases from backup, you will loose all points/tracks you made since this backup!
Yes, that's why two direction synchronization is safest in this solution.
I thought about that multiple times, and a compromise approach came to my mind:
- you have all the fundamental tools at hand already, as you are providing a differentiated backup function
- the new things you need is time stamping and some housekeeeping
- new functions:
1) backup since last timestamp (the fundamental feature), let's call it "delta backup"
2) set timestamp (gives the user some power to repair/adjust, e.g. for starting the cycle after full copy of DB, etc.)
How it works:
- delta backup only ZIPs objects that have been created after the last timestamp:
-- POIs have a creation/modification date
-- tracks should be selected by the time of saving / last track point time
-- put a file into the ZIP that contains the unique ID of the device
- to avoid endless update loops, if all devices create new entries, the tracks and POIs should carry a tag "origin" that is set when importing such a delta ZIP file
- the delta backup ignores objects that are not its own, i.e. carry an alien origin
- just to be safe (if something goes wrong somewhere), delta import ignores objects that are from the importing device
And of course those delta ZIPs HAVE to go to some cloud, which is working already, too.
Any loophole that I overlooked ?
Good day Michael,
thanks for a complex idea. Main problem I see here, is that Locus does not currently support anything like "delta backup only ZIPs objects that have been created after the last timestamp". You probably know that all points and tracks are stored in Locus/data/database/[tracks,waypoints].db files and it's inner structure cannot be 1:1 exported to any format. Only solution should be to inner binary format used directly by application. Not sure if such work worth it btw. I'm still not perfectly sure about biggest usage of most wanted sync/backup feature. It is quite important and we not yet perfectly investigated it.
Good morning Menion, I think my idea is not at all complex, and here is why:
- I am not talkink about any specific general export for arbitrary consumption, I'm talking about and export that goes from Locus to zip to Locus
- and as far as I understand, you can do that today, right ?
- the only thing missing is the additional timestamps to restrict WHAT to export resp. import.
Do I miss a point here ?
TXs and cheers
maybe I miss a point here :). If you look into backup file, backup of points and tracks is really only 100% copy of points/tracks databases. This backup system does not work with individual points and tracks! So if I understand, your approach require to export points and tracks individually together with their timestampt. For this, app is not yet ready, but it's of course doable.
You are right, Menion - and I did not look INTO the zip for years ... :-)
Comments have been locked on this page!