This object is in archive! 

Track recording and ANT+ communication/connections issues

Laurent shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Hello,

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S9+ with Android 10 on it and using Locus Map Pro 3.47 for Mountain biking only.

I never had issues before and all worked well until latests updates.

Since 3.46 I think, here are the 2 main problems that are really annoying that I cannot recover myself:

- 1. Track recording:

When I try to record a route (with or without navigation), the tracking record is sporadic.

Sometimes, the track recording seems to be on pause and when I open the app screen to check where I am and the route I have recorded the pink trace doesn't follow the road I am on and I get some straight lines from the previous time the app screen was opened and the actual time I am on. After I open the screen app, the track recording seems to be working and then after some minutes after I have left the screen app get off automatically, the track recording pauses again until I reopen the screen app.

I have tried to set the app as a 'Service' but it did not change anything.

When I want to put on the track recording, the left screen displays the information that I use 'Battery optimisation', but when I go in the battery settings on the phone for the app itself, the Locus Map app shows a 'shut down' button (which seems to mean that I am not using the battery optimisation for this app) and the action on the app is impossible, I cannot change the status of the app for the battery usage, it is like greyed out, as if the app was blocking its setting to avoid use of battery optimisation.

And, if I want to add an app to the list of exclusions of battery optimisation, the Locus Map app is not displayed.

- 2. ANT+ connection/communication:

I am using a speed and a cadence device from Bryton with use of the ANT+ communication to avoid BLE usage.

All was fine before latest updates.

Since then, When I open the screen app while biking, the speed and cadence are not displayed directly, it takes several seconds to get the information from both devices.

I have checked the communication and tried to set it as 'basic' instead of automatic, but the result is the same for the latence, and even worse as with the deactivation of all screen locker, the app waits for the ANT+ connection in 'basic' mode before displaying the app screen, and in this case the screen is locked and I need to type the mobile password to unlock it and let the Locus map app connect to the ANT+ device, which is not the case in automatic mode.

I am using the 'Leika's theme' to display informations: the cadence is well displayed and uses the cadence device correctly, but the speed is not working as before as instead of displaing the information from the speed device, it uses the GPS speed information, which is not what I had before.

What do I need to do to recover these 2 issues?

Must I uninstall and then reinstall the app to get it working? And in this case, am I loosing all the maps I have dowlnoaded from the app and all my records? Is there a backup option before removing the app? Will I loose also my registration?

Thanks for your help on these topics.

Regards,

Laurent

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Laurent,

all these issues seem to originate from a few problems:

1) Locus Map is not fully excluded from the battery optimization - have a look at https://dontkillmyapp.com/samsung for instructions on how to secure the app from being killed

2) Locus Map doesn't have all system permissions it needs - please check your system settings >Apps > permissions if Locus has full access to all features it needs

3) Locus Map doesn't have full permission to access location ANY TIME - this is a specialty of Android 10 - the system considers an app running in background as "not being used" and kills its access to GPS. Therefore, it needs the permission to be set as "all the time"

photo

Hi Michal,

Thanks for the fast answer.

Today, I have tried again the app with the battery optimisation off on my phone, so normally the app wouldn't go in 'not being used' and won't be put on hold, but I have faced exactly the same issue for the track recording.

When I check the app settings, all the authorizations are given and the battery optimization displays 'not optimized'.

The 'authorize background activity' is greyed out with the switch set to 'on'.

If I go in the battery settings of the 'system maintenance' and select the 'manage applications energy', I cannot select 'locus map' app in the 'applications not put on hold' as it is not part of the list.

But I have left the 'Put unused apps to sleep' switch on. I have also left the 'Adaptative battery' switch on, should I switch this parameter off also?

For the GPS access, I have set the application to have access only when the app is launched. Should I change this setting to 'Always' also?

photo

Hi Laurent,

"But I have left the 'Put unused apps to sleep' switch on. I have also left the 'Adaptative battery' switch on, should I switch this parameter off also?"

- YES

"For the GPS access, I have set the application to have access only when the app is launched. Should I change this setting to 'Always' also?"

- YES

photo

Michal,

Thanks, I will try it and let you know if this has fixed my issues.

photo

Hi Michal,

I have tried it today and the application worked perfectly, the navigation screen lights up when needed, the track recording now follows exactly the path I am following and the GPS accuracy is perfect with no latency, even the distance recorded for the trip was fine.

I just have one last question on the battery settings (Keeping the two switches off for 'Put unused apps to sleep' and 'Adaptative battery'):

Do I have to keep battery setting at 'High performances' or can I keep it at 'Optimized'?

photo

Hi Laurent,

I'm not perfectly sure but I think the battery as a whole can stay in the "optimized" regime. Only Locus Map must be excluded from all those optimization options.

regards

Michal

photo

Hi Michal,

SORRY for the very late answer.

Just to close this topic, I would like to share my latest test with the battery settings and with the 2 buttons off for the automatic close of apps, the battery must be set also to the highest level and not to the optimized level.

I have tried this setting when starting a ride with my bike and the track recording directly begun to have some 'jumps' and the navigation was not showing me the different directions and was not lighting up the screen with the optimized battery on.

All went back fine with the battery set to 'full power'.

Thank you very much for your time spent on this issue.

All the best!

Replies have been locked on this page!