This object is in archive! 

Edit and add turn by turn voice directions?

Boni Hollósy shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

I was wondering if it was possible to edit the voice directions, or add some manually.

I use navigation (not guidance) quite often for mountain biking. I don't have a phone mount (not sure if I want one) so I just try to listen to the voice commands. I find that the automatically generated directions are pretty subpar. The biggest issue is that when a road diverges into two at a shallower angle, Locus doesn't say anything at all whether I should go left or right. Also, Locus gives me lots of useless "bear left" or "bear right" directions when i'm just riding on a twisty road.

This might sound a bit dumb, but I also wouldn't mind a "go straight" voice command, because sometimes I wonder if I really need to go straight, or if Locus just stopped working or something and that's why it didn't say anything.

So would it be possible to add voice commands manually, and/or modify the existing ones? It's okay if I have to use a 3rd party software or something, i'm open to anything. I generally plan my routes with BRouter online on a desktop.

Best Answer
photo

yes, just open the route in the route planner, tap the place where you need to add a navi prompt, "route segment" slides up, tap three.dot menu on it and select "trackpoint no.x":

/b48452b1405fe4c7d49766535c3e8ac4

then tap the "arrow" button and select navigation prompt from the list (the same as in the previous case)

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Boni,

when Locus navigates along an imported route, it doesn't know where the intersections are - these data are usually not written in the GPX. So it renders the navigation prompts according to the route shape. Number of these prompts can be adjusted in settings > navigation > advanced> frequency of commands.

Rendering navigation prompts by the route shape is not always perfect, as you write. Therefore, I personally always plan the route in Locus route planner - thus I get almost 100% perfect navigation prompts.

photo

Interesting, thanks for the help! I tried the built in route planner, and yes it gives me much more navigation prompts. I got a bunch of "keep left" or "keep right" prompts that i've never seen before.

I did some test sections, and the Graphopper router seems to give me more prompts than Brouter.

Sometimes it still gets things a bit wrong tho, so there is no way to add prompts manually, or modify them?

photo

Yes, the prompt points can be edited in the route planner. Open the route in it, tap the navigation point, then the arrow icon:

/8963b9e5c0f0075b8fb0ff03b52d3834

and select the right command from a popup list:

/ccbbcd4c7cc942a04c4d9de8b7b03a69

photo

Amazing, thank you! 🙂

What about adding a new prompt point, is that possible?

photo

yes, just open the route in the route planner, tap the place where you need to add a navi prompt, "route segment" slides up, tap three.dot menu on it and select "trackpoint no.x":

/b48452b1405fe4c7d49766535c3e8ac4

then tap the "arrow" button and select navigation prompt from the list (the same as in the previous case)

photo

Thank you so much for the help, i'm gonna have lots of fun with this! 🙂

Replies have been locked on this page!