This object is in archive! 

Android 11 and scoped storage

Alastair Breingan shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Hi again, and thanks again for a great product - we now have a few pro users here using your product with some external programs for fire-fighting so at least you are getting a few sales in recompense for my silly questions.

Specifically we are writing kml files to locus/mapItems folder from an external program containing truck locations etc which must remain private so we cannot use a a KML net link (which we use for other information)

I have just modded that program to operate under Android 10 with the restrictions on write external storage now introduced, so i thought i would ask how you intend to handle this under android 11 when it becomes mandatory.

I understand that a individual permission will be needed for each folder / file and I am not sure if this is needed every time the file changes. I cannot find any detailed description of how this will work and my ide does not yet support scoped storage so i am just flagging an issue that you are probably well aware of

So

Replies (3)

photo

Hello Alastair,

definitelly not a silly question, no worry.

You wrote you just "modded that program" > this means you are writing own app that writes data into Locus/mapItems folder? What method are you now using?

Android 11 won't be a problem yet, as Locus Map will use an optional flag in the app manifest and will be working in the same way for one additional year. Anyway in August 2021 problem starts and the most probable method you use won't work anymore. We are slowly preparing on the complete transfer of "locus" directory into private /internal/Android/data directory with a lot of problems and restrictions this transfer brings.

If there will be interest and if you write your own app, it should be possible to prepare some public method that may such 3rd party apps use to copy content into some private app directories. Probably not a big problem I believe.

Menion

photo

Yes i have a Delphi program which collects information from the fire truck and sends it to a website database, but also collects location information from the database and displays locations of other trucks on Locus via a kml which is written to Locus/mapItems each time it changes. Delphi has not yet incorporated scoped storage in their IDE (which generates the manifest) so i had a failure when running on a new android 10 Tablet. I was able to easily fix that once i realized what was happening.

Yes scoped will be a problem for lots of people.

Thanks again for excellent support

photo

Understand, perfect, then it will be a little easier.

I believe it should be possible to prepare a method for a direct copy to certain mapItems subdirectory. Locus Map is not yet ready for ScopedStorage, but reminds me this "problem" at the start of 2021 and we will do something with it.

Menion

Replies have been locked on this page!