This object is in archive! 

D+ overestimated when exporting track to Strava

Laurent Farcy shared this problem 3 years ago
Not a Problem

I have a bug when exporting a MTB track to Strava. It always overestimates the D+. Last time, from 1100m, it became 1500m.

Is it a known issue?

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Laurent,

so the higher value was on Strava after the import? Therefore Strava overestimates the elevation gain, right? If you want to preserve Locus measuring, check the option when exporting to Strava:

/508de28af697e4173e6eec23ea1d5466

photo

Hi Michal,

Thank you for your reply.

Strava did overestimate the elevation gain, twice in a row. The "Preserve measured altitude" was checked indeed.

From now on, I'll try without the option checked and report if it still misbehaves.

Best,

Laurent

photo

I have always found locus overestimating altitude gain. I have tried filters and corrections, which mitigate the error, but still the algorithm in my view is not working properly. The same gpx file opened with another app provides much more accurate gain. 2 years ago I provided sampling to menion but i think that nothing really changed. For altitude gain on cycled tracks I rely on bike computer. When I plan new tracks on locus I calculate gain "manually"

photo

Hi Andrea, could you please tell us what references you have for your claims? Do you have any professional measurements or testing at disposal? For the calculation of elevation gain, Locus Map works with GPS location (still very inaccurate on most of mobile phones), barometric measuring (available only on some phones) and offline elevation data provided by public sources (overall generalized, counting with elevation grid of 30 - 90 metres). So the input data can be considered primarily not accurate. On the other hand, Locus Map provides a lot of filters and optimizations (much more than other apps) regulating possible deviations.

Replies have been locked on this page!