This object is in archive! 

Orthodrome and loxodrome

Hilbert Setter shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Hello,

In Route Planner I define a route between two points which are very far from each other, with drawing mode "Draw manually".

The route is shown as the orthodrome between the two points, which is correct since this is the shortest distance between them.

Then I save this simple route to a track. The track graph shows:

(*) the orthodrome between the two points (correct) in Locus Map Free 3.37.2 and Locus Map Pro 3.44.3

(*) the loxodrome between the two points in Locus Map Pro 3.49.0

For hiking or cycling of course this is not important, since on short distances orthodrome and loxodrome are nearly the same thing.

But when using Locus for long air or sea travels, then this difference matters.

I think the older versions were correct, while the new one is not.

If you agree, can this be fixed please?

Thanks.

Replies (3)

photo

Hello Hilbert,

I consulted your developer with your question. Why do you feel that something in the view has changed?

He draws the route correctly in the planner, but it no longer appears correctly on the map, but this has always been the case and no change has occurred with the new version and is not even planned.

Can you please send a screenshot of the saved route?

Thank you, have a nice day

Andrea

photo

Hello Andrea,

thanks for your answer.

I enclose two screenshots to better explain.

The first screenshot is taken from Locus Map 3.37.2, the second from Locus Map 3.49.0.

They show a track between Kiev and Seoul.

In both cases I followed exactly the same procedure:

- I define a route between the two points in Route Planner, with drawing mode "Draw manually". In both cases the route shown is the orthodrome (Kazakhstan is not crossed), that is the shortest route between the two points.

- Then I save this route to a track:

In Locus Map 3.37.2 (and 3.44.3) the track follows the same path as the route, which is the orthodrome.

In Locus Map 3.49.0 the track follows the loxodrome path (the one that crosses Kazakhstan), which is longer than the orthodrome.

Hope this helps to describe what has changed. I think the track should follow the orthodorme, just like the ruote, since it is the shortest path between the two points.

Thanks.

photo

Hi Hilbert,

the method of rendering the manually drawn line hasn't changed, it is still the same. The orthodrome is used in the planner but after saving the line, it is straight. If it is otherwise, it would significantly affect Locus performance. And because Locus Map is primarily created for hikers, bikers or geocachers, not for long-distance pilots or astronauts, the differences between orthodrome and loxodrome within kilometer distances are immeasurable. Thank you for understanding.

best regards

Michal Stupka, Locus team

Replies have been locked on this page!