This object is in archive! 

Navigation voice announcements are terrible

UweSchir shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Hello,

do you have any influence on the voice announcements when navigating?

In Grashopper I find the announcement - sorry if I have to say this now - terrible and above all wrong.

When I have to change from one motorway to another - the announcement is "Stay on the right" ("Bleiben Sie rechts). That's not correct because I'm not supposed to stay in the existing right-hand lane, but to turn into the off-ramp, i.e. to change lanes. A correct announcement would be, for example, "Take the exit" or "Please take the exit". Navigon, which was unfortunately discontinued by Garmin, had the best announcements in my opinion - they could have come from a normal passenger (regarding vocabulary and intonation). In Locusmap, the announcement - from the content of the statement/vocabulary and the intonation - sounds like a bad computer voice, sorry, no matter whether it's a "Grashopper" or "yours".

I also noticed that the next action (changing lane/taking the exit, etc.) is already indicated at a distance of 8 km. I would like to see a shorter distance. In 8 km you can forget a lot and be distracted. In my opinion, it would be better to have a notice 3 km before the next action. That is not too far away from the action and not too short to possibly react too late.

Greetings

Uwe Schirkonyer

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Uwe,

thanks for the notice.

In spite of the fact that Locus Map can be used for car navigation, it is primarily designed for outdoor activities like hiking, biking or geocaching. We realize its limits but we aren't planning any improvements regarding car navigation for now. The voice is not generated by Locus Map either - the app uses the phone default text-to-speech software.

photo

Hi Micha,

thank you for the quick answer.

I am aware that car navigation is not the main focus of the app, but in the long run I think it would be worthwhile to pay more attention to this aspect.

The navigation function, as it is currently implemented, is not bad - I am only bothered by the poor and, above all, partially incorrect linguistic part of it.

I can get over the sound - or I'm sure I'll get used to it at some point, but a command/announcement "Stay right" when you have to change lanes and turn is not helpful.

I use the Locusapps (Map/Gis) a lot - especially for work.

It usually works like this: I get new plans for a study area in which I am supposed to map bats, for example. Thanks to LocusGis, I can open these shp files (GIS) and display and edit them accordingly.

To drive to the study area, or to move over longer distances in the study area if it is larger one, I still use Navigon, although it has officially been switched off.

Until now, this had the disadvantage that I either had Navigon on the screen or then Locusmap/gis. My current new phone (S10e) does support the "split screen" function, but that is not a long-term solution in my eyes, because not all the information is displayed on the split screens and the apps are often not really designed for that.

It would help me if I could navigate directly from Locusmap/gis.

As I said, the navigation algorithm fits - the partly wrong voice prompts are why I don't use this function.

I also noticed during use that the algorithm differs in Locusmap and Locusgis. If I select a point (small road/field path) somewhere in the middle of nowhere, in the study area, LocusGis cannot calculate a route to it and then places the point in the next locality. Depending on the survey area, this can be several kilometres away. Locusmap has no problem with this. Again, I currently have to work with the split screen feature or switch back and forth between the two apps.

Of course, these are just ideas and suggestions from my practical experience that I think would improve the app in these aspects and I would be happy if the points could perhaps be implemented at some point.

I wish you and the team a happy new year

Greetings Uwe Schirkonyer

Am 30.12.2020 um 19:15 schrieb Locus Map:

Replies have been locked on this page!