This object is in archive! 

Fake GPS position

Kåre Øst shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Would it be possible to get a feature to manually set a "fake GPS position". Would be nice when one is planning and looking at map of certain area in detail. The line to cursor would then be a useful tool when you are somewhere else than the place you want to investigate...

Also it would give you the opportunity to center in on a specific position - lets say im going to my cabin next weekend: i look at my maps around the cabin, my looking brings me away from the cabin, i could then hit the "center on position" button and start investigating other trails/routes from the cabin in other directions. I would not have to scroll back ...

Replies (5)

photo

Hello,

please give a try to following steps:

• center with the map cursor on your desired "fake location"
  • open GPS/satellite screen and check if GPS is disabled
  • then tap on the top toolbar menu > GPS Simulation > Indoor training

The app should start fake mode with the current map center as faked GPS.

Menion

photo

Sounds like the solution, but i cant get it to work on either 3.5 og 4? It goes to my last GPS position instead. Maybe theres a setting somewhere else that makes it do that..

photo

I support this idea and even want to broaden it: It would be great if Locus itself or a new Locus-addon could be used as an Android mock location app. That means Locus is creating a fake GPS location which could be used by other Android apps as well, like Google Maps, Navigation software etc.

Why Locus? Locus already contains important features which every other Fake GPSapp is lacking: Different maps to choose the location from (not only Google Maps), Input of coordinates in different formats, Different Search methods (online, offline, within points). There's already a good place within Locus to start GPS-simulaton from, which is just used for Locus-internal simulation right now: Satellites screen > menu > "GPS simulation"

photo

Ah right, sorry, I see it. It does not work like this in the common public version.

So sorry, this feature is currently not possible directly in Locus Map and for this, you have to use any of the existing fake GPS location apps available on Google Play.

Support for "Mocked location" in Locus Map is doable, on the second side, because there already exists such apps on Google Play, I do not think it worth the time.

Menion

photo

Hi Menion, you're right, there are dozens of Fake GPS apps available. I tested a dozen of them, and using one for many years myself. So I can write what I am personally missing much within all of these apps:

• All apps are based on defining of Locations just with Google Maps. No other ones like OpenStreetMap or even offline maps like LoMaps. In Google Maps there are no tracks or paths and many other objects are missing which are available within OpenStreetMap. So creating a Fake location outside main roads and towns with Google Maps is difficult.
  • Most apps don't offer input of coordinates - and if so, just in format DD.DDDDD°. Not in the common format DD MM.MMM° or other ones.
  • No app is able to be used for offline use (e.g. with LoMaps, or offline search of villages), since they need online Google Maps and online Search.
  • No quick n' easy sharing of Locus-coordinates (by clicking onto "Share"-icon after long-clicking onto a coordinate) possible. People have to copy & paste and switch between Locus and Fake-GPS app. And this is just possible at all if Locus setting is for DD.DDDDD° formatted coordinates - which for example is not the format Geocaching people are using.

All these missing points Locus already has included. So just the function to share a coordinate as mock location to Android system has to be implemented within Locus. In this case Locus would stand out of all other Fake GPS apps with these features.

But of course finally it's your decision if this is a favoured new feature you want to implement it within Locus. :)

photo

Ok - not a big thing for me to wait - if its included in the LM4.

Currently i'm using Fake GPS, it works, but in my line of use i move the position a lot, and therefore it would be way smoother if it was an easy thing to do within locus itself. Like a long-press option or something. Also Fake GPS uses a google terrain map where the contourlines even disappears when i zoom in "to much". I have not tested any other, but i second the oppinion of Sonny stated above, thet the maps we have available in locus are very good and therefore Locus is the best app for faking GPS :)

Replies have been locked on this page!