This object is in archive! 

Intelligent nav instruction on import route - how?

Marek P shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Apologies if this info already exists, but I couldn't find it.

I want to be able to create a route on a PC (free web app preferred) from scratch, import it into Locus and get navigated round with voice instructions only at significant points (junctions). I don't need to use 3rd party routes, just ones I create.

I know I can import a track and nav round that, but then I get voice at every bend. No use.

I managed to import a GPX route with just routepoints (no trackpoints) and recalculate in Locus and that's almost OK, but the routepoints appear as 'vias' and so have (useless) voice instructions there as well as at the turning points that Locus generated. I know I can convert 'vias' to 'shaping points' in Locus, but they have to be done one at a time, so not practical for a long route.

So, how do I create a route outside of Locus and import it into the app such that I only get voice instructions at the turning points?

I'm reasonably happy to script changes to a GPX file, so is there something I can embed in the GPX file that will get Locus to interpret routepoints as shaping points rather than vias?

Replies (3)

photo

Marek P, have you tried using the "Frequency of commands" setting here"

photo

Already set to 'low'.

photo

Hi Marek,

as most of the public routing services don't export GPX with navigation prompts (actually I personally don't know any), and thus the GPX contains only the route line, Locus doesn't know where the intersections are. So, it has a system for adding navigation prompts according to the route's shape. Frequency of the prompts, however, can be adjusted in settings > navigation > advanced > frequency of commands - you can select from none to high frequency.

photo

I understand that public routing services don't navigation prompts and I'm happy for Locus to generate those. My question was really about how to get a route into Locus and then get it to recalculate without the imported routepoints appearing as vias (and hence creating voice prompts).

photo

There is a suggestion to automatically recalculate an iported track in the route planner and to create correct turn-by-turn directions.

https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/navigation-from-track

photo

That would of course be useful, but is beyond what I need (and I understand quite difficult). Whereas what I need is simple - I just need (worse case) for Locus to interpret imported GPX routepoints as shaping points not vias. Or convert vias to shaping points throughout the whole route (rather than one-by-one).

Replies have been locked on this page!