This object is in archive! 

Warning message about battery optimization

Mac Bo shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Hi,

I'm using the latest Beta 4 v13. Today I was confronted with a warning message about some setting potentially causing GPS getting lost while the app is running in the background. I've never seen anything like this before. Is it part of the latest Beta build? I always thought I had made all the proper settings, e.g. app not being optimized for battery usage, constant access to GPS etc. The message never appeared before. I also checked https://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:faq:gps_lost_fix_android6&s[]=battery

But I fail to see any options I missed to set correctly.

The thing is, at that very moment I missed selecting "Show me what to do". And now the message does not come up anymore although phone and app are running under identical settings. Is there a way to reset these kind of messages? Or did this one lead me to the URL above anyway? Might the warning be misleading in the beta? Usually when I wake up the screen and bring up the app when hiking it takes about 2 to 4 seconds to show the position marker. Does not feel like the GPS gets lost, or does it? Should the position be shown right away if everything was set correctly?

Regards,

Mac

Replies (4)

photo

Hello Mac,

thanks for this post. This is indeed a completely new feature in the Beta version of Locus Map 4. The app does not check any system settings. It simply tries to detect if the application, when the screen is off and GPS is required, was able to correctly get location update every second. If not, the app displays this warning message. The link on this message really leads to our doku-wiki manual you wrote in the initial post. So there is no direct link to any application settings.

Misleading? Yes, it may be. It is the first version and it is, of course, possible that detection gives incorrect results. Does this error appear when you use track recording or even when track recording or navigation is disabled?

Menion

photo

Hi Menion,

Thanks for the response. So it sounds like there's a chance I was simply in a "GPS shadow" of a building at that very moment (I indeed saw the message while standing in a rather narrow alley between two buildings). The app might have detected this as "no GPS" and suggested to check settings that could prevent GPS from being available for reasons like battery saving configuration or rights management, right?!

I haven't checked yet if the warning message comes up when being in track recording or navigation. I wasn't in any mode at all when I saw it - I was just looking at the map. When hiking I basically select the track I wanna follow, and then I check from time to time whether I'm still near or on the blue line or if I have to take turn soon. ;-) Since I kind of omitted the message I thought it will never be shown again, unless there was a way of resetting it. Hence the question for a reset.

But I will keep an eye for situations where I could provoke getting the message again, e.g. when being indoors.

Regards,

Mac

photo

Hello Mac,

hmm, this probably won't be that case. I wrote it simplier for quick understanding, but to be precise: app tries to detect every minute, by special technique, if it is still alive and working. If happens, that app does not responde on this request for double time (so for two minutes), it starts to smell bad and Locus Map show to the user the dialog you already saw.

This test should anyway be done only in case, you use track recording, navigation, live-tracking or POI alert service (that required GPS all the time). Is this your case? You wrote it isn't, but I see no problem in tha app code.

Hmm, I've anyway improved the test code a little bit, so it should appear only when the app is "more sure", there really is some kind of optimization enabled.

Menion

photo

Yes, I was in no (special) mode. I simply woke up the display and returned to the app as if freshly started. Then I saw the message. Actually I never use track recording, navigation, live-tracking nor POI alert service when hiking. But it's good to know that potentially the message will show up again (and has NOT been discarded by me "forever") as soon as more or less the same condition applies again. We'll see.

Cheers,

Mac

Replies have been locked on this page!