This object is in archive! 

Maps on external SD-Card

Philippe Aubert shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Hello,

I want to add a big map of Switzerland (8Gbyte) on an external SD Card

I have the Map on the external SD-Card but Locus does not find the external SD Card !

Is it possible ?

Hoe to proceed ?

Thanks for your help and regards

Replies (4)

photo

Device vendors have a big influence on how external SDs are handled, and the Android version plays another huge role.

Hence there is no answer to such generic question, I fear.

Cheers

Michael

PS: I have dozens of maps on external SD, vector and ratser - works like a charm.

photo

Hi Philippe,

does Locus have system permission to access the external SD card? Could you please send a screenshot of what Locus "sees" in your phone storage structure?

photo

I have found a solution to connect the the External SD-Card but I still have a problem due to the size of the file for the Swiss Maps !

how rto copy a file >than 8Gb ?

photo

What format is your external card

Fat32 only supports up to 4gb, and older phones that only support up to 32gb sd cards can only use this format

If the sd card is exfat, then it should be fine.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/format-a-drive-in-exfat-windows-and-mac

photo

Philippe, and now Locus sees the SD card and the 8GB mapo on it? Where exactly is the problem? Too long initialization? Any error message?

photo

I still have a problem with the big file : the formatting of the SD Card done by my Sony Xperia phone does not accept 8GBytes files; I have try to format the SD Card outside of the phone with my PC but the formatting accepting the big files is not recognised from the phone !

Have you a solution ?

photo

If the SDcard uses an obsolete FAT file system then it will not acces such a big file even after formatting it in your PC.

photo

I have found the size limitation of 4G on a forum for the FAT32

NTFS is not recognized by my phone !

Last try with exFAT formating !

Do you think that Sony Experia can recognize exFAT format ?

photo

I'm sorry Philippe, I can give you an advice about Locus but I'm not an expert in Sony products :)

photo

exFAT is not recognized from my Sony Experia..also no solution, I have to store the 8G file in internal memory :-(

photo

exfat support is up to the discretion of the oem, ie sony

you dont mention which model experia you have

internal memory is linux flesystem format, which will support large files.

There is a good chance if you phone is old ( ie AndroidOS version 5 or earlier) that it wont support the cards as you have found.

photo

exFAT is now reckognized and I have been able to copy the 8Gbyte file...all is OK Thanks for your help

Replies have been locked on this page!