Routing issue on planner for cycling

Ricyro shared this problem 2 years ago
In Progress

If I select road biking and then create a route it tries to send me down off road tracks which is wrong.

Also with road biking selected the planner wants to avoid main roads even if they are small linking sections and create very illogical routes. See attached file.

Replies (1)

photo

Hello Rich,

Can you please still send the file?

Thank you

Have a nice evening

Andrea

photo

Sorry here is the file. The route chose by the planner does everything to avoid the small section of main road, even taking stone tracks (eg the north section through Macclesfield Forest).

photo

Hi Rich, thanks for reporting this. This behavior is probably an unexpected side effect of changes based on another reports, calling the road cycling profile "suicidal" (for traffic). I think I have just overdone it. We are setting more advanced workflow for adjusting routing profiles, so correcting (reverting) this behavior will be presumably the last ad-hoc change. Thanks, Radim.

photo

Maybe one more question. Buxton New Road according to the dataset we use (OSM) is the "second most important roads in a country system" - next to motorways. However cyclists are allowed formally. Do you feel safe cycling on Buxton New Road? Or is it sort of safe only off peak hours? The problem here is the routing profiles need to work globally and giving such high profile road higher priority may be unwelcome elsewhere. Thanks, Radim.

photo

Yes Buxton New Road is potentially dangerous and there have unfortunately been fatalities for car drivers, motorbikers and cyclists. However it is very popular with cyclists (the climb from Macclesfield to the Cat and Fiddle pub is considered a classic climb and features in the top 100 uk hill climbs list). I think it used more during off-peak times though.

After motorways I thought you would get main road dial carriageways so maybe not classified right in OSM.

Can imagine it's very hard to get the right balance. The best algorithm I have seen is ridewithgps so if you can get close to that it would be very good.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file