Track line style, outline without line

Anders Olsson shared this idea 3 years ago
Completed

I use a topo map as a source for finding tracks for motorcykling. Thous tracks have different linestyels depending on what kind of track/path it is, surface, with etc.

When you are out riding and trying to navigate, the info from the map of what kind of surface or how big the road/track is, is of interest. If I make a track in Locus, that track is drawn over the path I'm looking for.

As of now, Locus has two options to mitigate the problem.

First you could set visability/transparacy so the line doesn't cover the road completely.

Second, you can use a line pattern, but you still not see the whole road, especially if you are zoome out.

Then there is the option to add a outline, that function would be super. But as it is now you can't just have outline selected without also having line ticked in. Setting line to invisible with the viability option doesn't help cause then you see the outline covering all the width.

My suggestion is to be able to select outline without also needing line, and that the outline is drawn as two separate lines.

That way you would be able to see the road on the map and having the track you made shown with two lines on each side.

Best Answer
photo

I wanted to avoid extra settings. Currently, the width of the outline is hardcoded to 2px.

Proportional ... hmm so 25% of the defined width with a minimum of 2px? Better suggestion?

Replies (4)

photo

Just uploading an exempel of how it could look like.

89bf7df29868046216062f029eb701ed

photo

Any news on my suggestion?

photo

I just had a look, the outline isnt really an outline if it covers the whole track if line is transparent, i think this is a bug and it makes sense that outlines would highlight the track, not obiterate the view of it....

photo

The way it appears, is that the outline is just a "wider line" that is drawn under the "main" line. So if toggle outline ON, and set the main line visibility (transparency) to 0%, you just end up with a wider line colored after outline color.

e67e673d3abe9f3e81709b46bd4f6b71

photo
photo

Hi guys,

complicated task. Not a problem, I just had no idea how to do it last maybe 10 years. Anyway, after some playing, it seems that a solution exists. So in the next app (Beta) version of Locus Map 4, the outline will be correctly drawn next to the base line. In cases, where you will need to draw only an outline, please try using the fully transparent base line. Hope it will work as expected.

photo

Works fine! Thanks

photo

Very nice, I've changed my track folder settings for this, although a new option for a thicker outline color would now be helpful like in Anders original post because the existing thin line blends in with the road outline, or maybe the outline width is proportional/ scaled along with pattern scaling width setting so no extra setting is required.

a3d939812559e78134026fed35636ec3012e8293baf2ade9f673ea036c91038a

photo

I wanted to avoid extra settings. Currently, the width of the outline is hardcoded to 2px.

Proportional ... hmm so 25% of the defined width with a minimum of 2px? Better suggestion?

photo

2px may look ok in the screen cap on a large PC screen but is virtually the same as the 1px road border/ outline

look back @ the original suggestion

f96f3a130cef46babd08ff86aeb40272

proportional to the width of the line, in my screen cap 10px, say 50% would be 5px which is getting similar to original idea above, yes and with min 2px sounds like a nice compromise w/o an extra setting?

photo

Attention: it should not be too wide. Otherwise you may not be able to see the pattern (arrows) properly.

photo

agreed, and too narrow & it's back to invisible; how to compromise? for 10px line width x 25% = 2px = invisible, 10px x 50% = 5px - too wide? of course having a setting for the outline width solves the problem without compromise but...

photo

There are alreadya lot of settings, outline width setting wouldnt hurt the UI...change line style is an advanced feature for power users, and we like setiings!!!!

photo

Menion, tnx for taking you time to look at the suggestion!

I understand that it is a hard balance to try to please all the users and there wishes. You do what you think would benefit all the best.

If I could wish though, I would prefer a specific setting for the with of the outline, as mentioned earlier.

But I think your suggestion would work also.

photo
photo

I have tried different line widths and see no need to change the outline.

If configurability is introduced here, then fine, but please no automatic scaling.

But that's just my personal opinion.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file