This object is in archive! 

Map rotation when GPS off

Tapio shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

On planning, when home, I typically have GPS off. Shouldn't map rotation be same accessible as when GPS is on? It works with the magnetic sensor, but cannot be turned on with the big button if GPS is off.

Unified behaviour would be a plus here, less confusing...

Replies (1)

photo

Hello Tapio,

the idea behind this is that map rotation is needed mainly in the field during real-world activity > so when GPS is turned on and the map is centered to your location. For all other cases exists manual map rotation that may be enabled with (disabled) settings > controlling > Map screen > simple multi-touch. Then you should rotate with the map by two finders. Does it help?

Menion

photo

I can also have it rotate with GPS off by preset.

I was just thinking it would simplify the UI. Turn rotation on (only magnetic sensor needed) in any case, no matter what the use case is.

And I think a use case with GPS off, is planning.

photo

Ah, nice hack with presets. This works because you have disabled "Map rotate only when centered" settings in Expert settings, right?

You wrote "Unified behavior would be a plus here, less confusing." > what do you mean? You can't rotate with the map on main screen and also in the route planner in case, GPS is turned off.

We also quickly discussed this in the office and it does not make too much sense to us, sorry. Manual rotation should be used here.

Menion

photo

It's ok, case closed... haha it goes over my head right now, if auto map retation makes sense with gps off 👍

Replies have been locked on this page!