This object is in archive! 

Disable centre button rotation

Alan Budden shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Is there a way to prevent rotation caused by accidental double-tapping of the centre button? I sometimes press the button when I think it's slightly off centre to make sure it's tracking my position again and if it's not off centre, it's spins the map round.

I don't remember the last time I actually wanted the map to rotate: I always leave it with North up, so having a button that I use regularly have the unwanted side effect of spinning the map is really annoying.

I've searched through the settings to try to disable map rotation from the centre button, but I can't find the setting I'm looking for. Is there a way to do this?

Replies (5)

photo

I always use turning. I want it to stay the way it is.

Practice it when you click once.

photo

I understand that some people would like to switch between turning and not turning easily, I'd just like an option to stop it happening as it frustrates me every time I use the app.

photo

Hello Alan,

I would like to discuss mainly your sentence "I sometimes press the button when I think it's slightly off center to make sure it's tracking my position again". Are you using the "Hold map center" system that simply allows moving map freely for a while and then enables map centering again automatically? The rule is anyway simple: if the centering button has a black dot inside, do not press it again. With this rule, I do not see a reason why to add another option that should disable rotation as you need.

Menion

photo

Hello Menion,

That's disappointing, but I can understand you not wanting to add another option. I guess it's something I'm going to have to work at to train myself not to inadvertently press the button. I seem to do it every time I use Locus 4 and it makes me swear every time (to the point that I've been going back to Locus Pro to avoid the problem, but I thought I ought to report it rather than just get frustrated).

I'll have another go with Locus 4 and see if I can put up with it and if I keep being as frustrated as I have been thus far I guess I'll just have to stick with the old software to avoid a spinny map.

Alan

photo

Hello, you did not gave me more info about your "I sometimes press the button when I think it's slightly off center to make sure it's tracking my position again". Why you think that map is "slightly off center"? It is not clear if app currently center to your GPS location or not? Also, are you using "Hold map center" feature? (if so, you should see small "lock" symbol on the centering button).

Menion

photo

Hello Menion,

I think the thinking it's off centre thing is just a habit formed over years of using Locus Pro. It's not that I think it's unclear, it's just that I'm in the habit of pressing it to check. I also sometimes press that button when I'm aiming for a different button (fat thumbs maybe?!) and in Locus Pro it was benign but in Locus 4 it has an (in my opinion) annoying side effect.

I don't use the Hold Map Centre feature as I prefer to switch manually.

photo

Then they have to change their habit.

photo

Hehe, changing of habbits is sometimes so complicated :),

Anyway I'm suprised it worked for you with Locus Map Pro. Because in case, centering is active, so center button has blue highlight, second tap DISABLE centering! So there is also unwanted side-effect.

photo

Hi Menion,

Yes, it's true that the centre button serves two purposes in Locus Pro, but the second purpose is (for me) benign. I'm rarely using it to switch automatic centring on, I'm using it to centre the map on my location (a manual operation rather than enabling an automatic one). If it disables automatic centring, it makes little difference to me: if I want it centred again I don't mind pressing the button again.

I'll give it a try for a week or two and see if I can get used to it or whether my fat thumbs and ingrained habits are too much and I still manage to switch it into spinning mode. If it does (as I suspect it will, although I will try my best) I'll guess I'll just have to go back to Locus Pro & cancel my subscription.

Alan

photo

Hmm, this is really interesting problem Alan. Oki, fair enough, give it a try and let me know. Also suggest to give a try to "Hold map center" feature that may be really useful.

Menion

photo

I've really tried to get used to it - I had a holiday last week and was using Locus a lot. Every time I was using Locus, I started to use Locus 4, but ended up switching back to Locus Pro after getting annoyed by the spinning. I'm not really sure what made me think I needed to press the button and cause the unwanted spinning, but even though I was thinking about it, I still managed to end up with a spinning map at some point every day.

If this is something that is going to be a permanent feature that can't be changed in the options, I think I'm going to go back to the old version and cancel the subscription. I just can't live with it, sorry. It is a shame as it looks like Locus 4 (with the gold subscription level at least - the offline planning stuff is great) is a big step up from Locus Pro, but it doesn't feel like it's worth the subscription if I'm constantly switching back to the old version for ease of use when actually out on the trails.

photo

Hello Alan,

just to be sure ... is the rotation of the map caused by the second tap on the centering button? In this case, map rotates automatically by the internal compass or GPS movement. There is also second option, that you rotate the map manually during a two-finger pinch zoom. In this case, map rotation is completely controlled by two fingers. This second option can be disabled in the app settings (Controlling > Map screen > enable Simple multi-touch).

photo

The second tap is the one that bugs me: the other one would almost certainly bug me too if I hadn't already turned it off! If that option could also disable rotation by pressing the centring button as well then it would be fantastic.

When I started using Locus Pro, one of the features that sold me on it (over Google Maps) was the fact that Google Maps had an annoying habit of spinning the map round and Locus Pro would keep north in its "proper place" (although I've since discovered many other benefits obviously!)

photo

Thanks, understanding.

In case I disable this dual functionality for rotation button, I firstly have to find out alternative system to how to enable map rotation. You and Carolyn are the only two who wrote me that current solution is a problem. But! there was already quite a lot of people who were unable to find a rotation button.

I'll think about it next days and let you know here. I usually needs to wait to a proper "inspiration" :).

photo

I came to the help forum to try to find an answer for this exact situation. Also finding myself accidentally rotating the map sometimes. Could there be a setting to change how the button behaves (so people who want map rotation can use it that way but people who don't want rotation can disable it?) Thank you.

photo

Hi Alan, others,

The new Beta version brings a possible solution for your troubles. In the expert settings is an option to disable! the dual functionality of the centering button. This results in

• permanently visible rotation button above centering button
  • option to rotate with the map even when the map is not centered on your current location

Let me know how this solution works, thanks.

photo

Hi Menion,

That's definitely better, thank you. Is there any chance you could move the compass button somewhere else (a long way away from the other buttons, e.g. in the top-right of the window like in Google Maps) or allow it to be removed completely? I can still see me pressing it by accident if I've got (touch-screen) gloves on.

Thanks again: I really appreciate the effort you've put into this.

I hadn't realised there were so many extra settings before you mentioned "expert settings" and I looked up how to turn it on!!

Al

photo

Hi Al,

even expert settings has it's limits. Main problem I was solving was rotation of the map not just when you are centered on current location. Problem you try to solve is really minor (in terms of number of users interested in). So for now, I really would like to stick with current solution. Give it a try, same to Carolyn and we will see later ;).

Menion

photo

I am suffering from the same "problem" after I switched to Locus 4 today. I do not want to use rotation under any circumstances and it annoys me every time I accidentally activate it. I think it's generally not a good idea to have one GUI action result into two completely different outcomes.

So thank you for solving the "problem". It's still only in beta, correct?

Reinhard

photo

Currently, it is only in the Beta. The public version is planned for the middle of November.

Jiří M. aka Menion

Replies have been locked on this page!