Can't swipe down in Locus map Watch op new Galaxy Watch 4

Yves Roblain shared this problem 22 days ago
Known

On the new Galaxy Watch 4, you can't swipe down in the Locus Map Watch App. Swiping down open the quick settings panel...

Any suggestions how to work around this, or is there any hope for a fix?

Kind Regards,

Yves

Replies (3)

photo

Hello Yves,

any updates regard Wear/Gear watches are currently paused due to the lack of developer who should take care of it. So sorry, a fix is currently not possible. This new Samsung + Wear OS system looks very promising so we will be definitely watching it. Thanks for understanding.

Jiří M. aka Menion

photo

Is this the current source code to the WearOS app?

photo

Hello Marek,

this is correct. It should be current state of WearOS add-on.

Menion

photo

Cool, thank you for making it public!

So, if I (or anyone) sent you a patch, would you be able to review and publish it?

I am new to Android/WearOS development but I wrote a mapping app for Tizen not long ago. I'm thinking about getting the Galaxy Watch 4 and switching to WearOS, so would be interested to have a look.

photo

I checked out the code and got it running on an emulator with Wear OS API 30, all running well so far.

Yves - I assume the problem you have is that you cannot access the main menu (where you select between the map screen and the track recording screen) because the same gesture opens the quick settings?

photo

Hello Marek,

that is exactly the issue. Would be great if you manage to fix that! If you need a tester with a physical device, I am your man.

photo

Great! Like I said, I'm fairly new to this so can't promise anything at this point, but I'll have a look. The best way I can think of right now would be to make that menu the default screen when starting the app and then either have a button on the map screen or the physical back button take you there, instead of the down swipe.

On the other hand, since that menu is derived from an Android API class (WearableDrawerView) they must have thought of some way to handle that with the new quick settings menu.

Menion, any preferences/suggestions?

photo

I've just opened this project after few years (btw. it was not even written directly by me) and spend more than an hour to just update to the latest Locus API version (branch `dev/update`, not yet 100% done). We may rather discuss this issue directly on GitHub.

Anyway because most of the code and libs is almost 4 years old and because I also wanted to start work on this add-on at the end of this year (thanks to the new nice Watch4), it first needs to update to Android X (like this version of DrawerView: https://developer.android.com/reference/androidx/wear/widget/drawer/WearableDrawerView) and some other latest libs ... the issue here: https://github.com/asamm/locus-addon-wearables/issues/7 .

And the final solution of the problem reported by Yves? What about keeping the menu system as is, but just swipe it from the bottom and not the top?

photo

Yes, swipeing from the bottom will solve that issue.

photo

Doesn't the app menu appear when you swipe from the bottom? Or is that only on the watch face display?

photo

Hey Marek, the 'app menu' only appears when swiping up from the watch face display , not when in an app or widget. So that should work...

photo

Menion, I sent you a pull request on GitHub. Thanks for your effort in laying the ground work!

photo

I got my Galaxy Watch 4 today and I can confirm that it's working on the hardware.

I found one or two more apps that have exactly the same problem - Samsung's Wear OS essentially breaks the top navigation drawer - so I expect an API change somewhere down the road. But having the drawer at the bottom works fine for now.

photo

Marek M, are you able to export and attach your version of Locus for WearOS?

photo

Thank you very much! I've installed throw ADB but got a message on the watch that Locus is not installed on the Phone. I guess I have to wait for the official release :/

photo

Did you also install the "device" apk on the phone?

photo

When I install "device" apk, the icon of locus on watch dissapears. Play Store on the watch shows the app is installed. But I cannot make it run.

Trying to install again wear apk gives an error: [INSTALL_FAILED_VERSION_DOWNGRADE].

Installing "device" on phone gets me a message: "app has not been installed". Throw ADB: Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_TEST_ONLY: installPackageLI]

photo

I was able to install both packages on their respective device via ADB. You will probably have to uninstall the app store versions on both devices first. The one on the phone is called "Wear for Locus Map" - since it is a service it will show up in the app list under Settings->Apps but not in the app menu. You do not need to touch the main Locus Map application.

This worked for me:

1. Phone; Go to Settings->Apps. Find "Wear for Locus Map" in the app list and uninstall.
  2. Watch: Uninstall "Locus Map" from the app store or the app menu.
  3. Connect the phone to ADB. Install device apk with
    adb install locus-addon_device-debug.apk
  4. Disconnect the phone and connect the watch to ADB. Install wear apk with
    adb install locus-addon_wear-debug.apk

photo

That was the point:

1. Phone; Go to Settings->Apps. Find "Wear for Locus Map" in the app list and uninstall.

And in point no 3 instruction as follows works for me:

adb install -t locus-addon_device-debug.apk
Thank you very much! Now it runs perfectly.

photo

Hey Marek, I have just installed your new version. Had to use the -t option for install on both the phone and device (makes sense as these are test builds).

Seems to be working perfectly - you are a hero! Now i can abandon my old Galaxy Watch for hiking...

Thanks a lot for your and @Menion 's efforts!

Yves

photo
photo

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have no clue about the beta test procedure it takes as described above.

But it looks like you have solved this issue. When can we expect the official release of this fix? I hope soon because it really sucks on my Galaxy Watch4. When I want to use Locus, I need to wear my old Galaxy Watch on my right hand.

Thanks everyone for all your effort!

Thai

Leave a Comment

Attach a file