This object is in archive! 

Battery drain since v4

Wolfgang shared this problem 2 years ago
Solved

Hi,

since locus map v4 (gold) I mention a higher battery drain than before with the old v3.

I can say this very sure because I use locus as "single" app on a dedicated device and the battery behavior changed much since the big update.

Often this device only lies on my table for a few days without that I use it. Other times there wasn't any big battery impact but now often after one day half of the battery is empty. With flight mode it's a bit better but also not good.

I also mention the the display wakes up by itself. I have setup my device that the display time is a half hour. When I have locus started and I switched of the display manually it is often switchend on by itself.

Maybe this has to do with the automatic sync processes of locus (brrouter updates and the waypoint sync). The cloud backup couldn't be the problem this already was setup with version 3.

Are there any possibilities to decrease the battery drain?

Thanks Wolfgang

Replies (5)

photo

Hi,

I experience the same. Even with track recording off and screen off, I see locus draining my phones battery.

photo

Hello Wolfgang,

this is a very serious topic you created. I'm not aware of any increase in the battery consumption, definitely not so serious, so it has to be some setup that causes this.

I would firstly start with the "screen on" problem. The app is able to turn on the screen in case

• gesture (enabled in settings > Controlling > Display > Screen on/off control)
  • in the same settings is an option to enable the "turn on/off" screen during navigation
  • Locus API, so controllable by the for example Tasker app

No other action may cause this. So probably "gesture"? May you check it, please?

And what may cause battery drain? Usually, it is caused by permanently running the GPS unit, so if you press "home" to display the device's home screen, does the GPS icon (visible icon in the system status bar) disappear?

Menion

photo

Hi Menion,

thanks for your detailed reply.

1. yes the gesture was on - I don't know why. I just disabled it and will keep an eye on the behavior

2. it really could be the GPS unit. Locus is usually running always on that device - as mentioned the device is only for locus. There also was a setting inside locus activated to keep GPS on. I now changed this,

It really could be that it was a layer 8 problem ;) I'll keep an eye on it I could image that these two "wrong" settings are the reason for the behavior.

Thanks I'll let you know more in a week or so. It will take some days to test this.

Wolfgang

photo

Hi Wolfgang,

perfect, thanks. There, of course, may be some problems, but because almost the whole app core is shared between Locus Map Pro and Locus Map 4, the chance is really low and usually, there will be a problem in some settings. Let me know, thanks.

photo

Frankly, I haven't noticed any suspicious battery usage on my phones.

That is, except when live tracking is on. This is a real battery hog but I guess this is unavoidable. Setting the update to something like 15 sec (not really needed when hiking, just saying) can kill the battery in no time.

Replies have been locked on this page!