This object is in archive! 

Android 11 ? - Trouble with new directories

Scian Edi shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

TABLET SAMSUNG - GALAXY TAB S5e

I'm having trouble with new directories.

I also uninstalled Locus Map 4 which I was trying.

Then I also uninstalled Locus Map Pro that I have been using for years.

I can't move the kompass maps to the new directory.

I re-downloaded the other maps.

Will it no longer be possible to access the new directories? manually ?

Will there be the same problems in the mobile phone too?

Replies (18)

photo

Same here. The new directory does not show up in the file browser, only when I search for it. But then I still cannot copy files to it.

photo

Hello,

it looks like you try to add a custom sub-directory. Sadly this is not possible anymore.

Try go to "Settings > miscellaneous > Default directories > Load app data".

Here you can import your maps to the app folder.

And if you need to move something manually, some of the file explorers still don't have new permissions from Google, but e.g. X-plore or Solid explorer works. Or you can connect your phone to a PC with a cable and do it from there.

Please, let me know it helps.

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

No. So what I did was I clicked on migrating the data. But that didn't migrate my offline maps. Then I tried to copy the maps manually, as I said the standard file browser from Samsung didn't show the directory, only when I search for "Locus". But I was not able to copy the maps there and it als did not show me a maps or mapsVector or any other folder. It tried to create a subdirectory just to check, has nothing to do with the maps.

Anyway, then I tried to manually migrate the data from inside Locus. But that didn't allow me to access the SD card outright. Then I first moved the maps onto a new internal directory and then manually migrate it. But there Locurs told me that I cannot select that directory.

This gets a bit frustrating. Without the offline maps, Locus is useless to me.

photo

John.....try as follows: Connect your item with a PC where you have stored your external maps. In explorer you can open your item's folder manager. Copy the map in locus directory menion.adroid.locus>files <locus<maps. Then shut down the item and start again. Now Locus App should show your external map in map manager.

Good luck

photo

Hello,

if you need not to have your maps in internal memory, you can set a "Private directory" on the SD card, but you have to do it through Locus.

Settings > Miscallaneous > Default directories > Set custom sub-directories

It creates a private folder on your SD and you can move your external maps here.

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

Too much hassle!

Back to Ozi-Explorer for me.

photo

Can you make it possible to move the folder to something under Download? With some apps, write access also works here. (Samsung Galaxy A52 Android 11)

photo

Using the PC and moving the files manually worked. Still, there should be a more user-friendly solution. Some function that copes the files from an accessible directory.

Plus now, there is a new problem if I use two different map readers and want to access the same maps. Now, I would have to create two copies of the maps, which does eat up disk space if I travel a bit.

photo

Hello,

sadly, this is the new Android policy. Every app has its own data and other apps cant reach them.

So yes, if you need maps to be used with more apps, you have to duplicate them.

We are unhappy as you are because there is no solution how to make work even Locus Map Pro and Locus Map 4 parallelly without duplicating files, but we must accept it.

But most of the maps in the Locus store can be downloaded repeatedly for free.

So if you have purchased any maps you need just occasionally, you can uninstall them, save space and install them back when you need them again.

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

"Every app has its own data and other apps cant reach them" - how can several Gallery-Applications show / edit / delete pictures taken by various cameras?

Maybe you should think 'customers first' and 'Google second'

photo

Hello, there is big difference between app data (which includes maps) and multimedia files.

There are no restrictions of multimedia files if they are in system folder. Locus also can use a photo you have taken with your camera app and edit with some other app.

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

@Zdeněk Kondler

I can understand your obligations to Google and the need to comply with their API.

I remain unable to understand the need to move offline maps generated by third party applications - MOBAC for instance - to a private folder on the local device.

Other Map applications - OZIAndroid for instance - continue to read maps from a nominated folder on my SD Card under Android 11.

I sorry but you have just lost a client.

photo

Hello,

answer is very simple - OZI Explorer is distributed outside of Google Play, so they don't have to care about Google restrictions.

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

Sad, but true.

Certainly NOT in the true spirit of Berners-Lee's Internet.

photo

Very disappointing and angry! What a waste of space just to please Google! 15GB gone for nothing!

Also the way how it's implemented is shocking - not considering your customers!

Need to spend some time to fix this nonsense, otherwise the apps are not usable as NO offline maps are found automatically! At least you could have migrated them ....

Settings > Miscallaneous > Default directories > Set custom sub-directories does NOT work! Why is it still there as option? Misleading!

photo

As Locus has file manager based actions, and has picture viewer ( geotagegd photos) can it apply to have Gallery and File management requirements? to allow it to carry out those functions.

photo

Tasker uses a non-Google based plugin (Tasker Settings) to overcome some of the Google imposed restrictions.

The main app fulfills Google requirement ...

Can this approach be applied to LN and LNP ?

photo

I used to sync locus backup folder with 3rd party software (Syncthing actually).

After folder migration, backup folder was moved, so backup was silently broken.

Thankfully there is option in "Settings > Miscallaneous > Default directories > Set custom sub-directories"

to move backup folder back. Sad that there was no warning about it or option to never move it.

photo

Maybe for one or the other of you a viable workaround (without wanting to endorse the innovations forced by Google):

- I like to use the Vector Maps of the "Freizeitkarte" (https://www.freizeitkarte-osm.de/android/de/index.html - but should also work with other maps),

- which I download from the website directly to my PC.

- Via cable I then move them to my phone (previously Pixel 3a, now Pixel 6),

- into a new directory created by explorer /storage/emulated/0/Locus,

- where I put the themes in another subfolder _themes.

- If I now select the mapsVector directory in Locus as mentioned above, the app accesses the Vector maps stored there.

- For example c:geo can then also access these maps.

Of course, I have no access to the maps that are already available in Locus or that will be downloaded in the app in the future ...

photo

Hi Martin, I found that the latest (Nov., Google compliant) versions can no longer pick these extra maps folder outside the private /Android/data/... on Android 11.

On older Android levels Locus still offers that.

You mentioned PC/USB connect, which is a powerful thing. My Samsung devices (S10, Tab S6 lite) grant stable access even to the private folders on both, int and ext SD. Huawei and LG I found troublesome via USB connect (only small files worked, older Androids anyway, where you do not have those crazy restrictions).

And then you have x-plore, Total Commander and Solid Explorer. All three of them can write to the int SD private folders. Not to the ext SD private folders, though (-> PC/USB ...).

But they can read from ext SD private folders.

photo

PS: if someone knows a Google manager. Squeeze them where it hurts. It is a combination of ignorance and arrogance to forbid root level read/write access for Apps. While it is perfectly OK to nail access to those private folders. Where Apps can store sensitive stuff, while they can leverage root level folders to interoperability between apps. Maps and SRTMs come with double digit GB requirements easily.

photo

But then what is wrong with my Pixel (Android 12, December patch)? I just downloaded another map as a test and stored it in the above mentioned folder. Both Locus (Ver. 4.5.4) and c:geo (Ver. 2021.12.13) can access this map:

b4132f83d05af425622460d3279c4e9b

76c9737ba3d9bcbe1dccfd2f528e3d39

d25ce94483233a8c7187519825948479

photo

Sorry, I am lost. You report and document success. What then is failing?

Replies have been locked on this page!