This object is in archive! 

External Maps in android 11 new fucking Google policy

roxetak shared this problem 2 years ago
Solved

Fucking Google with his fucking Android. I must buy Huawei ... I transferred maps to Locus maps Vector directory. But I don't see it. Where I must transfer maps, or I must root android 11 phone. Or ... throw on the wall. Throw on some Google developer head?

Replies (18)

photo

Did you let Locus itself transfer it?

In any case I advise to use x-plore or Solid Explorer to have a look at the file system directrly.

/Android/data/menion.... are the folders to look for, either /and on intSD / extSD.

Then compare the settings inside Locus re. the folders for various data categories.

Yes, Google sucks. But even with those restrictions Locus can work OK. But the transition can be a bit painful, depending on the type of device at hand. My Galaxy Tab S6 lite works OK at least, with quite a number of maps even on extSD private folder..

photo

Doesn't work. Doesn't help.

photo

I just switch to new samsung tablet with android 11.

I used xplore to find the buried hidden folder. My offline maps are showing up again. Neither of my typical file manager apps could see the folder. The message in locus did not point to this silly location. Ideally the map folder will not be so hidden. Ozi and orux have their folders readily available in a logical place.

Offline map is displaying on watch properly. Good stuff.

thanks for the tip. I hope this gets easier.

photo

No. I transferred maps manually to Locus folder in internal storage. But nothing shows. Only in c:geo maps works perfectly. Something in locus must be set wrong. There's no user friendly solutions? For dumbs? I must root my android phone to have an access to system folders?

Can anybody give here the path to map folders. Can anybody give us a clear solutions for this Google sucks security obstructions?

photo

Rooting might help, but is definitely not easy either for non ITlers. And it is definitely not the first or second step to take.

Now, as I wrote, the folders are /Android/data/menion...

Subfolder maps for raster maps with mbtiles or sqlite suffix. mapsVector for the vector maps (.map suffix) and the theme subfolder.

From there Locus takes the maps by default without further settings.

Inside Locus you can decide to use the respective folders on ext. SD as default locations for raster and vector maps. I found that those folders on internal SD are scanned in addition, so you quite a playing field.

Beta x-plore can manage int SD fully, also those private folders of any app. On ext SD it can read everything, it can move everything inside /Android/data, but nothing from anywhere outside into it. USB connect to PC opens ext SD for writing, too.

These are my x-plore and USB findings with Galaxy devices. S10 and Tab S6 lite.

LG G5 and Huawei suck 100% when it comes to PC connect for ext SD.

photo

PS: Wolfgang has problems with the private folders even with x-plore, on a different Samsung device type.

So there might be vendor screw up in addition to Google insanity.

photo

It is so complicated. Sorry. I am lazy user. One of them users. Developers must solve it. Why I must do anything. Scratch right ear👂with left hand✋! I want to click on plus, choose and add folder. And thats it!

photo

I can't find that folder "storage" on SD card, or insternal storage! Hurry up with user-friendly solution!

photo

In fact, when people let do the migration by Locus itself, in many scenarios it will just work. Take minutes for the moves, then seamless. When capacity limitations exist, manual interaction is needed.

It seems you are at the latter point.

Which device do you have? Android level?

What file manager do you use ?

photo

I have Motorola G9 plus. Android 11.

photo

The King is dead, long live the new one. R.I.P. Locus. R.I.P. External Maps in Locus. How somebody wrote - There is only one option download payed maps from Locus shop!!!! Lazy gold diggers Locus developers.

photo

Wrong.

As a Gold User you can have all maps. Also DEVs need a steady income ...

As a Silver or free user you get three maps for free.

And then there is OpenAndroMaps. Free downloads and automatic install into Locus. Push button on its website, wait, done.

Have a cup of warm milk, my friend ...

I hate this Google move as you hate its impact, too, but most of the needs can be made working. Not all, which is a shame and solely Google's fault.

A combination of arrogance, incompetence and/or ruthless agenda and power play.

photo

I have Locus Map pro, not Locus Map 4 or what is that. I can have a lots of maps. But now I can't. Locus Map pro is still blind. Don't see maps. And I can't add folder with maps.

photo

I have both. LMP and LM4.

There is more than one approach to try from here, depending on some details:

- are those maps LoMaps or other maps?

- does x-plore see the levels below /Android/data?

Cheers

Michael

photo

Oh, my goodness. Oh, my God. There is " user-friendly" solution from Google and developers. Exactly done. Solved. I am filing like in the beginning of the Google Android ... Hacking. Google "Jailbreak". Now I must have maps X-TIMES on SD card for c:geo and in system folder - Android/data/files/Locus for Locus ... And milions files applications WTF

photo

For the re-use of of maps between Apps there is NO solution indeed.

As my main app has been LM Pro, and now is LM 4, I can live with that. But in general that is an unacceptable move by Google. They have though from 12 to high noon (translated saying from German).

photo

With Root you MIGHT be able to establish hard links or so, but I have never tested such.

And I am not sure if such would work with Android 11 at all. On Android level there are ways to obstruct such a bypass attempts ...

photo

Long discussion. Roxetak, sorry, but there is no intent from our side to complicate users' life ... we aren't so stupid to develop 11 years app as open to extensions as possible and then cut it without clear reason!!

During the next months, we have to find some methods how to allow easy copy of external maps into required apps directories. Anyway sharing between apps, as Michael wrote, won't be probably simply possible.

I'm worried that with one of the next Android updates (13+), even hacky access to app private directories on internal memory won't be possible (same as SD card), so the app has to be prepared. Sorry for this ...

photo

Thanks for the all answers and help. Google complicated our life, trying to be like Apple. Problem was solved. Everything is working for now. I don't know how long yet. Sorry for my expressions and vocabulary. I was so angry.

You can close this topic. And delete my expressions, swearing and bad language.

photo

I'm glad to read that the problem is solved.

And no need to delete anything ... we have in the team very similar language for a few months already :).

Jiří M. aka Menion

photo

Roxetak, glad to hear that.

Can you pls. share what exactly solved the problem?

This whole topic is highly diverse (also dependencies on devices, vendors etc., in addition to general A11 issue), so it would be good for the community to know successful paths.

Cheers and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Replies have been locked on this page!