This object is in archive! 

Import/export tracks/points in V4.5

Alan G shared this problem 2 years ago
Solved

Hi

In Locus Map V4.5 track/point export and import locations on-device are now limited to the private Locus Map directory, as far as I can see. If not true please advise.

The primary purpose of GPX (and similar) files is to exchange data with other navigation apps/devices or users. This is not possible if the app can only import/export from/to private directories not generally available to other apps or the end user.

At the earliest opportunity please would you re-instate the capability to import from, and export to, locations in Shared Storage on-device.

Meanwhile I've had to block upgrade to v4.5 on my main device.

Thanks !

-----

Notes:-

1/ My own use case involves exchanging GPX track files on-device between Locus Map, other navigation apps, and tasker.

This when offline, and when no PC is available. Transfer between Locus and tasker is automated via the tasker Autoinput plugin.

It can only work if all apps can access a shared location.

2/ I'm no expert but I can't see any reason in principle why the Android 11 API 30 changes prevent this feature. It should be possible by means of SAF and the system file/folder picker. It looks like the new Locus backup location selection uses this method already.

3/ There are some comments on the forum about using the backup location for exports.

IMHO, although GPX files can be used as belt-and-braces track/points backups that is not their primary purpose so should be located independently.

4/ I'm aware the private folders can be accessed by some file managers but these rely on exploiting what seems likely to be an unintentional gap in android security and might be closed by google at any time without warning.

It also doesn't help automation (as per note 1/).

Replies (13)

photo

LN V4.5.4 allows to import from 'Device Storage'

Go to 'Tracks & Routes manager' --> Tracks --> '+' -> Import --> 'Device Storage' and select the eg GPX-file

photo

Well spotted ! So it looks like for import the bug is that for some reason the "Device Storage" option is missing on the screen displayed from the options link (three vertical dots) at the side of each track or points folder. At least it is possible and shows the code is there to do it.

Still can't see any way to export outside of the private folder however.

photo

Hello,

there was a small error in the "import" button in the folder menu. Please download the new update and you should be able to import files from the device storage using the 2f3372cbb492b171ac3d0602ab3d6ae4 button and also under the 637edc15229b4e4e629ec29fd7bd7107 button in the folder.

The export function will need more improvements and we anticipate that this feature will be implemented after the holidays.

Thank you for the feedback.

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

Hi, V4.5.5: The link to device storage from the import to folder is now present as mentioned. However it seems there is a problem both with this and with via the + button - after selecting a file to import it crashes the app. I've tried both importing from private folder and 'device storage' - seems that via the + button import from device storage works, but other ways crash the app. i.e:-

+ button : import from Downloads folder - works

+ button, import from Android/data/menion........./import - crashes

folder link: import from Downloads folder - crashes

folder link: import from Android/data/menion........./import - crashes

Can you reproduce it?

photo

confirm

import from Dropbox > crash

photo

confirm in diferent devices.

import from any place > crash

photo

Hello guys,

I am sorry for the complications.

We know about this bug and we are working on it. It will be repaired in the next few days.

Thank you for your patience.

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

Hello again.

Has anything changed with the updates?

If the problem still persists, please, let me know.

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

Hi,

V4.5.7

Import now works OK with both "Main Directory" (private storage) and "Device Storage" (Shared storage) both from the + button and the three dots button , without crashing.

Export - still cannot export to "Device Storage" (Shared storage). Last I saw was that it's planned for January.

photo

Yes, the export function needs a bigger update, so it will be done later.

Well, I close this thread, but if you have any further issues, feel free to contact me again.

Regards,

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

Hi,

The original issue was about not being able to import and export from/to shared storage. As it's still not possible to export to shared storage then I don't see how it can be marked as Solved. Export is just as important as import.

photo

LM4 versions since Dec. 23rd allow for all files access permission.

Option to switch that on should appear in the folder management sub-menu.

Once you have that, LM4 feels like before. Plus scanning of both private mapsVector folders plus /Android/media scan.

photo

Thanks for that info, Michael.

So, is that the actual solution or a temporary workaround ? I hadn't been intending, up to now, to switch on manage_external_storage as no other need for it myself.

Will export be given the same options as import and backup folder selection - "Device Storage" ?

photo

Hi Alan,

with this permission Locus behaves as in pre-API-30 (Android 11) times. And as far as I understand the Google mechanics, the APK itself that you have installed retains that privilege.

However, as the grant to Locus is temporary, a later version may lose this privilege.

But for now it takes pains away from users and the Locus team a d buys them time to come to a comprehensive future solution. Which the private folders are not. Never, ever for mass data, that even may be shared between apps (SRTM, vector maps, raster maps, can be dozens of GB that must not be multiplied).

/Android/media (top level content specific, not app specific sub-folders) is a good home for above data, as other geo apps can ready deal with it.

For Menion and team there is still some heavy lifting here.

I am using this permission in LM4 without hassle or restriction.

Replies have been locked on this page!