This object is in archive! 

Can not Import nor Export since new Filesystem Support

Walter Francis shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

First off; why was this released without the ability to Import or Export at ALL initially? Then today there's 3.56.4 that claims to work, still does nothing.

Can't Export, at all.. only to the internal path which nothing has access to.

Can't Import at all either, it just lets you select a file and does nothing else. I've tried local system files, Nextcloud, etc.

I was going to try Google Drive just for giggles, even though I have no intent of ever using it that way, and it won't even get access to it, just sits there on the screen forever.

Also, my file manager, Ghost Commander, doesn't even show up in the list, why? Every other app that has file "File" intent shows it just fine.

Come on guys, I've loved Locus Maps for years, what is going on here? This is entirely broken on the absolute basics of using the thing. I have to get out an old phone to import a gpx file to use it right now which is just silly.

Replies (7)

photo

After exiting Locus entirely, I was able to access Google Drive so something is weird with the flow to gain access to it. And I can import from Google Drive so there's a workaround, but I don't manually put files in Google Drive to Import, they download to the phone automatically or I'd access them through NextCloud which I control.

photo

With this Version, on A11 on S10, I could import from everywhere and export to any place under intSD/Locus.

Have you moved your install to the private /Android/data/... before?

photo

For giggles I just tried putting a gpx in /sdcard/Locus but same, just quietly fails. Perhaps it's specific to Android 12, and I'm using an unmodified /not rooted Pixel 6.

photo

what does "put" mean? Copying by a file explorer, or exporting from Locus?

Re. file explorers I know that TC, Solid Explorer and x-plore have the MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.

Does not help for extSD/Android/data (another Google screw up, only PC USB connect gets you there, read and write). But the intSD /Android/data is accessible.

photo

"Put" means I just copied the file from where I normally had them (/sdcard/gpx) to /sdcard/Locus just to see if Locus had requested specific permission to /sdcard/Locus or such, since you said that specific path works for you I figured I'd try it but it did not make any difference.

And as for file explorers, Ghost Commander works in every other app, it's not an issue with it, and has nothing to do with the overall Import/Export functionality here. Just I don't understand why it isn't listed; again, it is in other apps that launch that "Files" intent.

But no, /sdcard/Android/data is no longer available to apps. Hasn't been for some time.

photo

Okay, with some "workarounds" you can access /sdcard/Android/data with a few file managers. Still not a good solution here. I don't want to have to move files around to special locations every time I need to import. Export is less important for me, but how often do other users do it? How would they possibly ever find files Exported to a path they can't access?

photo

Walter, Android 11 imposes weird restrictions to apps, and Locus Maps Pro is still suffering from it.

If I were you I'd go back to 3.55 (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-HDhEAkgrzZpoxu-zlOwVM2vHucuiV0g?usp=sharing) - for the time being.

That version can freely navigate the file systems on both SDs (not sure about alien private folders, but that is not Locus' business anyway).

photo

Rolling back isn't really an option, it doesn't fix it for everyone. The point is that this shouldn't be forced on(1) users until Import/Export is fully functional for normal users, which means it can read/write from places not restricted to the Storage Access Framework. ie: let it default to allowing /sdcard/Locus, that seems sane to me.. But the only thing in that directory would be stuff users exported or want to import or such, all the normal data files can be on "internal storage".

*1 Yes, forced on. If you prompt every time you launch to do something, it's forcing it upon the users. Until this functionality was fleshed out across the board it should have been some option buried somewhere. Once fleshed out and works, sure, prompt.

photo

Version 3.5.5 DOES fix it for everybody (because it still can access SDcard/Locus etc. But only if the situation is not yet screwed up too badly. In case of damage already done, things are not straight forward.

I agree LMP 3.56 better would never have seen the wild.

photo

No, it can not access /sdcard/Locus, at least not that I can tell. What makes you think it does? It can't Import nor Export there.

photo

To make the proof point:

- on Galaxy Tab S6 lite, Android 11, latest patch level, I did the following steps:

- installed LPM 3.55

- it accessed the intSD/Locus as default (hence found the LM4 install there successfully - just a side remark, not essential)

- I could export tracks to intST as well as extSD

- and I could add external maps on an extSD folder

photo

When try to export anything I only get a "Select source" dialog with "Main DIrectory" (internal storage), Dropbox, and Google Drive. No option for "Device Storage" so I don't see how you possibly exported anything any other way. The only explanation I have is that Android 11 and 12 are differing here.

photo

And you are sure you have LMP 3.55 running?

That would imply that Android 12 screws up apps with API level 29 ...

photo

Android 12, Dec patch, Pixel 6, using Locus Maps Pro 3.56.4, latest from the Play Store.

photo

I advised to use 3.55! What you experience with 3.56.4 is exactly what is expected from Android 11+.

photo

PS: to go back, I had to de-install 3.56.4.

If Android offers to keep the private data, fine. Otherwise you need a safe backup elsewehre (in fact that is a good idea anyway).

photo

So uninstalling, copying all of my Locus data back to the SD card, reinstalling some random old version from somewhere, setting Locus back up, and never updating again? That's the solution? Really?

photo

LM4 is another option #2, waiting for Google to get back their minds is #3.

Make your bet which one will succeed easiest and quickest. And judge that against your preferences a d pain points.

And if you know a Google manager, well ...

photo

New versions of 4 and Pro ignore external maps even when OS (older Android) allows reading them and "+" dialog actually shows the files. Even apps targeting

Android 11 should be able to access generic SD card locations (except root and private dirs) using ACTION_OPEN_DOCUMENT_TREE intent and takePersistableUriPermission API...

If the external access is impossible really, could you allow using both (internal+SD card) private directories concurrently perhaps (config+most used maps in internal storage, large maps on SD)?

photo

Update: I am able to add external map folder to latest LM4 on A10 actually, but support for SmartMaps format has been removed recently unfortunately (I did not read changelog carefully enough before, please excuse the confusion). 3.55 still works with SmartMaps :-)

photo

4.5.6.1 does allow full access to root level external folders.

You have to grant this access, though. I think I tried a "+" in maps manager that triggered the permission request. Then went back without adding, and all /sdcard folders from the where there.

When it comes to LM Pro, most people are well advised to not update from 3.55 for now, even go back to it when they lost access to extern folders - and better never touch the migration in LMP ...

photo

So you prompt the user to migrate every time you start the app, but suggest people not do it. Great. Starting to feel like a forced migration to Locus Pro 4 now.

photo

Well, I am not part of Asamm, but a user since many many years, and an IT professional. Engaging in the Android 11 impact discussion since a year, and looking at the effects out in the field now (forum, help desk), above is my conclusion. Looking back is always easier, though :-)

photo

There would be no real impact if Locus could Import and Export to some "external storage" path. Other apps can do this, even though they're on the latest API. It just has to ask for the permission.

photo

For LM4 Google granted the permission, for LMP they denied. Insanity on steroids.

photo

To be more specific: my remark to avoid upgrade is for Android 11, 12 fellows.

The advise to stay away from private folders is for everyone.

photo

Well this is odd, I have always Imported GPS by clicking the hamburger menu beside the existing Points folder, but I just realized that hitting the + at the bottom of the screen actually works. So maybe there is some weird bug with the specific Import path of doing it from the Points folder itself.

And even more strange, the Hamburger Menu Import does work for Google Drive, but not Device Storage. When I select a file from Device Storage it just quietly fails and goes back to the Points screen.

Just to make sure, here's a screenshot.. Marked in red is how I normally import GPX points to update my Geocaching points, this isn't working right, but the Plus button at the bottom does. Very odd.

63970595ee2ea7577230cf0e5feaab71

photo

Weird indeed. As I do not use that functionality (no geo caching), I have to refer to the Locus team or other felows who do GC.

photo

By luck or already known, 3.56.6 fixes the specific scenario mentioned above. Export still only seems to be to limited places, but I don't export very often. Still unclear how to import or update any Vector maps besides using Storage Access Framework in a file manager but that is what it is, I'm sure the intended scenario is for the user to buy it.

photo

Hello,

at first, I am glad it works now. The export will need a bigger update, so it will be upgraded later. If you need to export/import anywhere, you can download the version with "All fille access (AFA)" from here. But turn off automatic updates, otherwise, you will lose permissions the next time it updates. Every update has to be done manually again. I know it is not an ideal solution, but at this time it is the only solution. And please have in mind, that this AFA permission is temporary, so it can be removed by Google at any time.

And as for this whole situation - it's definitely not a deliberate pressure on users to buy maps.

We comply with Google's policies, and while we're not thrilled with all the aspects that come with it, it's the only sensible way to go.

Regards,

Zdenek, Locus team

Replies have been locked on this page!