This object is in archive! 

Future proofing Locus directories in Android 11

Jakub Rusnák shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

I have android device with internal storage and external SD card, and both are full of offline raster maps, so I need access to both.

I was reading about recent changes in access to storage in Andorid 11, and still using “all files access” option. I want to future proof this and not rely on something, which can be deprecated. So what method do you recommend, when I need to have a lot of maps in both, internal storage and external SD card? Is possible to have Locus data with points and tracks in internal storage (fast and reliable) and at the same time use maps in both internal and external storage? Is the /Android/Media/menion.locus.android/Maps/ folder the right solution for raster map data?

I guess, sharing at least raster map data between old Locus and new Locus 4 or other apps is now impossible...

Thank you for advice.

Replies (5)

photo

Hello,

there is no possible proof of what Google will do with Android in the future.

But if will Locus Map 4 loses All file access (AFA) permission, this version will be still available here: http://bit.ly/lmVersions.

Even without this permission you can set your custom sub-directories and have e.g. "mapsVector" in internal memory and "maps" on an SD card.

Android/media folder is of course another possible solution.

And without AFA - sharing between apps is impossible, that's true.

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

why is my internal memory greyed out on the Google Pixel 2?

I have been using Android 11 for 3 months now and its only when I updated Locus this happened, so its not an Android 11 restriction. See screenshot.

photo

PS: /Android/media works CROSS app. c:geo and Cruiser do NOT have AFA permission, but still can access each other's maps. Standard LMP (w/o AFA) can do as well. If you do NOT use the app specific paths, but do something like /Android/media/RasterMaps and /Android/media/VectorMaps and /Android/media/SRTM.

So, /Android/media is the way to share.

photo

Thank you for comment. I tried to set other folder in /Android/media than menion.locus.android on Locus4 without AFA permission with map manager, but I was unable to choose anything. It was just telling me, that i need to enable AFA to add external map, I was unable to choose other folder from media directory. Would be possible to allow selection of custom folder in /Android/media in map manager? Folder menion.locus.android has disadvantage, that it is deleted from SD card, when Locus4 is uninstalled. That is very inconvenient, for example imagine you loose all your photos, when you uninstall your gallery app....

photo

Yes, exactly this is the work Menion still has to do ...

photo

Hi guys,

Locus Map is able to handle only its own data in the Android/media directory, so only data in the /Android/data/menion.android.locus directory in case of the Locus Map 4. The only difference compared to /Android/data/ directory is that other apps may access this directory with the "All files access" or with new so-called "Scoped storage". Locus Map does not use "Scoped storage" system for access to the maps, so because of this other then own directories are not usable for now.

photo

Understood, Menion. I think the term "for now" is the strategic imperative for Asamm ... ;-)

Replies have been locked on this page!