This object is in archive! 

Gauging a mountain

CHKR shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Hi,

I just got back from the mountains and remember an unknown summit on the horizon, just behind a mountain I know.

How can I draw a line from a certain position to another position, but then extending it beyond the target position until it collides with that unknown mountain?

The line need not be drawn, but should behave just like the line I always see from my gps position to the current map center.

Replies (4)

photo

If this "certain position" is your current GPS position, you can use the "Heading line" feature in Locus, turn yourself with the mobile until it "hits" the mountain you know. So you can judge on the map what the unknown might be.

If this exercise is happening after the fact, then you can (mis-) use the route planner in Locus.

Just my 2c.

photo

Hi,

Sadly it is not my current position. I want to do this from home, after I got back. Then I look at the pictures and try to figure out what I saw.

I would need the same functionality, just from any position except my current one.

Does the route planner allow a direct line?

Thank you!

photo

Yes, you have to switch to mode "manual", and just aim from A to B. One single segment.

photo

Ah, thank you! If this would also show the direction in degrees it would be exactly what I need

Thanks

photo

Well, there seems a way, partly beyond Locus itself:

1) activate GPS and wait for the fix (point G)

2) activate "Cursor to position line"

3) take distance and angle from your position to A

4) take distance and angle from your position to B

Now you have the angle at G, and the lengths of all three triangle sides. And two absolute angle against North.

This is more than enough information about a triangle to get all the remaining information, in particular the angle(s) at A and/or B. I do not recall the maths - those exercises are 50 years back. But I DO know that it can be done :-)

Maybe there is a Locus guru knowing an easier way - I did not find one.

photo

Yes, this can definitely be calculated. But I cannot use the result, if the line doesn't show the direction.

Suppose I figure the direction is 120°. Then I can draw the line from A to B but beyond that, when on the tiny mobile screen A and B have long disappeared, I will never know if I still am at the right angle.

Anyway, it is strange the locus does not provide a simple solution for this. That being said, once I know the angle I can use the Geocaching Tools to draw a line to that angle ...

That your very much for your support

Christian

Replies have been locked on this page!