This object is in archive! 

Display/Rendering of tracks on the map

MaryK shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

I already searched for it, but couldn't find an answer... Every time a track/route is very log (e.g. a road trip) and with a lot of curves the waypoints of the track get reduced a lot the further you zoom out.

As a result some tracks look like they are completely off roads/ways and only contain a few trackpoints. They simply look extremly jagged.

I know of course that it needs more ressources/memory to display all waypoints, but most phones are capable of displaying everything I guess.

Is there a way to prevent the reducing of waypoints for big scales?

Replies (4)

photo

Here's an example of what I mean (original post wasn't editable).

On a scale with 900m it looks all fine. Zoomed out to 2000m it's not even close to the road.

photo

Hi Mary,

could you please send a GPX of the track for testing? Thanks

photo

Sorry for the late reply. Didn't find the track I was looking for, but this is a good example as well I think.

It's created with the route planner (it's my only kinda workaround at the moment to "re-draw" tracks with the planner, as the original logged GPS track looked even far worse while zooming coz it has even less waypoints/trackpoints).

My only further "solution" to optimize tracks, is to add a ton of additional waypoints/trackpoints, especially in curvy parts... but there's a limit to it. And the track never looks really good.

Best you can see it around the tunnel I guess. Where the "triangle street" is completely off. Btw I tried to display tracks on my phone as well as on my tablet with higher resolution, but the result stays the same (see picture attached ;) )

Thanks in advance!

photo

Hi Mary, this behavior is normal. Each route consists of a string of routepoints. Regarding the length of this route and zoom, the app optimizes the visible route line to maintain performance - it would react very slowly if it kept all routepoints visible. Therefore, only a certain number of routepoints is kept and straight lines are stretched between them. Which, unfortunately, results in a bit rough appearance in case of such a curvy route. Regarding the fact that Locus Map is designed for hiking or biking when bigger zooms are used for navigation, this is not considered a bug.

photo

Hey :)

Thanks for the fast reply and information! So I don't have to search forever.

But to bad... in this case I have to keep working with google earth - they don't reduce trackpoints - at least not nearly as much.

Nevertheless I like the Locus Map :) it's just not useful for my intended use (expeditions and excursions and displaying them on maps)

photo

Q: By what Locus version ?

Gpx (trk) track display by Locus map Pro 3.57.0.

Source gpx track file: Trip 2019.gpx

e8c5a29746484dca1b120297354b72a1

photo

Hi, I think I have similar problem, and I was just plannig to write for advise. It seems that my routes are recorded only with few way points, it looks like jagged straight lines, even out of real route. I tried what I could in settings, but maybe I missed something. Thank you in advace for help. Vlado

photo

This is another issue - please get Locus Map permission for all-time access to location and exclude Locus from all means of battery optimization so that the app can run in the background. Instructions on how to do it are summed up here: http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:faq:gps_lost_fix_android6 or here: https://dontkillmyapp.com/.

photo

Sorry to mix different topics. I used recommened way of solution and it works. Thank you very much and have a nice day. V

Replies have been locked on this page!