This object is in archive! 

Map shading broken in particular circumstances

Michael Bechtold shared this problem 2 years ago
Closed

Hi team,

there are some areas I stumbled across where at ZL 6 the hillshading is hardly visible, while in direct neighborhood there is clear, correct contrast. And the reason is not at all geography. Why?

Just zoom one up to ZL 7, and you have the nicest shading for the complete mountains.

N65.8535 W 174.4074 is a good spot to observe that. On the left of this point Locus fails at ZL 6, on the right it is correct; at ZL 7, both sides are correct.

The hgt files are coming from Locus internal download, and they are not the problem.

Can you pls. check and advise?

TXs and cheers

Michael

PS: both, LMP and LM4 are affected

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Michael,

zoom level 6 corresponds approximately to the map scale 1: 10 000 000. I.e. one centimeter on the map is 100 km in reality. Are you sure that in such a scale you need more than is visible now? Locus Map is an app for hikers, bikers or geocachers. Such map scales are only for an overview of a larger area, not for orienteering in terrain.

photo

Hi Michal,

there is an obvious error in Locus or a library Locus uses. And I only spotted it recently. And it is sporadic, as I told.

Who can tell where it hits anywhere else?? Where things are not as obvious as in the place and ZL I spotted it?

So people (hiking, biking, ...) would trust - and be misled at their relevant zoom levels.

There is a high chance you could reproduce this error quickly, and let Menion know.

TXs and cheers

Michael

photo

Menion has admitted there is a problem in the internal logic of the shading calculation near the -180°/+180° in higher zooms. He's just added it in his to-do list. However, regarding the zoom level and usable map scale for hiking/biking, this task has priority close to zero.

photo

I'm glad Menion knows. And there is another issues near +/- 180°: the grid disappears if you have both sides of the 180° line on your screen.

And I appreciate both do not have priority - I would happily trade those in for LoMpas on MapsForge 4+ :-)))

photo

LoMaps on V4, this year I believe ;)

Replies have been locked on this page!