This object is in archive! 

After latest Android update Locus Map doesn't start

Aleksandar Milutin Veljković shared this problem 2 years ago
Not a Problem

Today the tablet (Samsung A7) prompted me to install the latest update of Android, and I reluctantly accepted, praying that it doesn't cause havoc with my Locus Map installation again. When this previous new variant of Android 11 was launched, I already had a big move of the maps to the private folder on the SD card, and managed to configure everything to work (although Locus Map had a significant pause every time before it showed the checkmarks screen in the process of initiation). And now, the first time I started it after installing this latest version of Android, it simply doesn't start. It has the long pause with a black screen after the "Loading" screen again, but never reaches the checkmarks phase, and just for a brief fraction of a second shows the main app screen (but without the map visible behind), before it exits to desktop. And however many times I try to start it, it's the same over and over again! So great, the "newest" version of Android obviously somehow crashed my Locus Map installation.

Do you have a better suggestion than backing up all the map folders (it will take a while), then uninstalling the app, and reinstalling it again? When I think about the time I'll need to set up everything again, I really feel very, very much pissed off. And I wonder - is this going to happen whenever Google decides to "improve" something in Android? When is that 4.6.0. update going to become available (maybe I should wait for an upgrade to 4.6.0.)?

Replies (1)

photo

Your mentioning 4.6.0 hints you are using LM4 already (subscription) - is that correct?

And can you check which version this update really installed?

In any case, the initial 4.6 message by Menion contains a link to the Google Drive with all versions (4.6, plus earlier ones).

I have 4.5 running on my Tab S6 light (weaker than yours) and the latest 4.x beta on my S10. Never had such problems with those (in Nov I fought troubles like yours, but not since the official 4.5 from Dec. 23rd).

photo

Yes, the Android update that the tablet installed yesterday is labeled T505XXU3BVA4, and it says it contains the security patches from January 1st 2022. The version of Locus Map installed is 4.5.7, and that is the latest that is available for update on Google Play Store. I have no problems with running Locus on the phone, but there everything can fit into internal memory, because it has 128 GB. On the tablet with only 32 GB of internal memory I can't fit everything in it, so I have to use the SD card (and that is probably the reason for all this mess). The tablet is quite new, bought it several months ago specifically with Locus in mind, but that was before this problem with memory access in Android that Google introduced in November. Maybe I should just change it for some more expensive tablet which has at least 64 GB of internal memory for apps.

photo

I just managed to locate the link with the 4.6.0. APK, installed it, and it managed to recover the Locus installation on the tablet. So the problem is resolved (at least for now).

photo

Lucky you, enjoy.

The Android update version number seems to point (Google ...) to an Indian model. Is that correct?

photo

Well, I wouldn't know. I don't know why they'd sell Indian models in retail shops in Serbia, but I'm no expert in the distribution of electronics. I use the system in Serbian.

Replies have been locked on this page!