This object is in archive! 

Use Locus for overlanding- improve track visibility

Otto Bentsen shared this idea 23 months ago
Declined

I have been using Locus and openandromaps for many years for hiking and overlanding, when off the beaten track / offroad.

For hiking it is super, but not for driving. I am aware the it is not intended for street navigation, but for offroad overlanding it is fine. Except for one thing. The roads/tracks are too narrow and with too little contrast on the screen, which makes it difficult to see the route.

So you should make this configurable. I know about the "Increase map resolution" but does not solve the problem in any good way as the map is becoming very cluttered, and track contrast is not increased.

Preferable you should be allowed to define track size, colors and visibility/ zoom level your self. Trying to plan a route involves a lot of zooming in and out because smaller roads disappear when you zoom out.

Maybe put in a toggle switch «Show all roads/track at any zoom-level» that can be used when planning.

But only making road/tracks wider would help a lot.

I assume this can be tweeked in the theme (I am using Elevate 5), but this is to complicated for an end user.

Overlanding is an increasingly popular activity so I think you would benefit from adding these features.

OsmAnd that has to some degree this feature using openandromaps.

You can read about nav apps here on my blog: https://www.inditravel.org/en/navigation-apps-for-car-and-mobile-overlanding/

Replies (2)

photo

Hello Otto,

as you correctly wrote, Locus Map is not primarily created for such cases.

What you really need here is a custom map theme, nothing more. Allowing dynamic customization of these parameters should be really complicated task.

On our forum is a huge community of users that create or help to improve map themes, so I suggest asking there. Or maybe a theme that may fit your needs already exists, just look there, please.

Hope you find the ideal map theme ;)

Jiří M. aka Menion

photo

In fact it is pretty simple: in the Elevate theme (XML file, e.g. notepad++ as a tool) just increase the width for paths etc. as per your needs.

Replies have been locked on this page!