This object is in archive! 

How can I set the size of photos taken during a trip ?

Thierry Rouby shared this question 20 months ago
Answered

The goal is to have a good compromise between photos quality and size of track file (gpx + photos jpg)

My smartphone is Samsung A53 Android 11

Thank you

Replies (3)

photo

The Photos added to POI are just taken from the camera app, locus doesnt control these settings, so you need to adjust resolution in your camera app.

photo

With the camera app of my Samsung A53 the size of photo file is between 5 and 10 Mo. I can for sure reduce it by posttreatment, but it is a posttreatment either in the camera app itself or by a specific app (XnConvert, Photo & Picture Resizer....). If I want to see the photos on a selected trace in Locus Map, I have to select "geotagged photos" in the "Map Content", but, as far as I know, all photos of POIs contained in the map are displayed, even those of not selected traces. So the size of data appearing on a map is dramatically increasing as soon as you select the display of geotagged photos. I am afraid of the possible consequences on the behaviour of Locus Map app. The only way seems to be the postreatment, after each trip, of all photos taken, and management of photo files in order to let at disposal of Locus map only undersized photos either in LocusMap directories or in DCIM. Is my analysis valid or not ?

photo

The sizee of the track file only has an effect if your packing up the gpx and exporting it.

In daily use, the database of tracks and points is quite small, and contains no actual images, just uri to images stored in phone storage

if you take a photo point, it creates a poi, and then stores the photo it takes in the media folder inside locus, using settings of your camera app.

if you attach a photo to an exsting POI, then the photo stays whereever it is in phone memory and there is a link.

so reducing photo size does improve speed of locus.

it all depends on where you store the photos really

"If I want to see the photos on a selected trace in Locus Map, I have to select "geotagged photos" in the "Map Content"

no, this simply shows all photo stired in a specified folder, which you can change, if you create trackpoints for teh tarck, these can have photos attached, and geotagged photos can be addred to tracks, if you show the track, it will then show thumbnails of its trackpoints only.

These are different functions that you are mixing together.

there isnt a reason to reduce the photos size, its only a cahed thumbnail that is used in the geotagged layer.

you can move the photos around and only show certain folders in geotagged layer.

there are different ways to go about it, as people use photos with locus in different ways.

but there is meant to be some improvements at some point on the photos to incorporate with the web version. as at the moment photos in POI dont sync automaitcally to web or otehr devices.

If you could explain in detail what you want to achieve I can help, but i dont think you actually want to reduce the photo size.

photo

Thierry, a) Locus displays pictures from (sub)folders - which are under your control. b) Usually no problem. It may take a while if eg. you let it parse 50000 picture files for GPS data. After all, just a point is displayed initially, so no implications for RAM.

Screenshots related.

photo

Hello Tapio,

I have a Smartphone Samsung A53 5G with Android 12. I do not succeed in finding the way to manage the directories of photos that are displayed on the screen. When I select "geotagged photos" in the "Map Content" screen, I get the following message " The app now uses the "by default" directory /sdcard/DCIM, or /storage/187E-5270/DCIM". It is not thus possible to select the directories as in your first screenshot.

Is there a simple means to do this selection on another way ?

photo

as you have A12, you will need to keep the photos in one of the two DCIM folderss, its an android restriction. I think there is an alternative version of locus that doesnt need this restriction, its a google thing.

there are going to be improvements with photos in due coarse that might change this.

in the mean time, just moved photos inside DCIM beffore showing them as geotagged layer

photo

Alistair, I understand that photos attached to a POI taken during a trip with Locus map are systematically in the Locus media directory and so systematically displayed as geotagged photos and that I have to move the other photos (not attached to POI) outside of DCIM if I do not want that they are displayed on Locus Map screen. Is it correct ?

photo

Not really

If you create a POI you can attach a photo to it as well, this can be in DCIM, or wherever pictures are stored

you can also create a photo POI, this does the same but it moved the photo to the locus/media folder for now.

so POI are shown/hiiden based on the point folder system, which has different view options to geotagged photos.

you can also show geotagegd photos, which behave a pt like photo POI, with no extra infomation. you can turn a geotagged photo in to a photo POI. and from there add as a track waypoint.

the geotagged layer, can be told which folders to show/hide from your various folders, this is depeate to which POI locus groups to show/hide, so if you want more control, create poi from geotagegd photo.

you can simply hide all geotagged photos. but also at same time show the POIs that you want that have photo attachments....

things will be changing at some point as the current photo system doesnt work well with locus web or multiple devices. The team have said this is on the schedule to look at at some point. it is going the way where google dont really want you sto store photos on your device, but to use google photos instead. i use google photos but the geotagged layer implementation is limited. ive stopped using geotagged photos and photo POI myself untill we see where things are going.....

Perhaps if you describe what it is you want to achieve.....

photo

In aa first time, I was afraid that, during à long hiking trip, the RAM of my smartphone was overcharged by a lot of photos. I understand that, due to thumbnails linking to the photos, there is no risk on this side.

Second, as A12 has reduced the liberty of use of directory for photographs, I wanted to better understand the rules of management of photo files in Locus Map ; as my smartphone is also used as a camera for many things (family events for example not related to Locus Map performance), I have to find out a way to move these photos elsewhere in the SD card storage in order that they are no more displayed by Locus Map and that they keep for example the possibility of sharing them or using them in mailing or in other apps

I understand that your team is working hard "against" the rules imposed by Google, and I hope that this transient phase will quickly finish.

I thank you for your explanations which, among all, remove the fear to have in my hands a device and an app wwhich do not work anymore.

photo

youve got at least 6GB ram, and at least 128GB storage, so spec of phone shouldnt be an issue.

photo

Side not: Locus can display webp, a more efficient format. I convert all relevant pictures to webp, for use on my smartphone. With XNconvert.

Replies have been locked on this page!