This object is in archive! 

GPS Shows unavailable if "high accuracy" is disabled

Steve Brown shared this problem 20 months ago
Not a Problem

Google refers to "high accuracy" as GPS PLUS phone and WiFi signals. I only want Locus to use GPS. If I set "high accuracy" off in Location Preferences, Locus complains the GPS is unavailable.

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Steve,

this is not a problem of Locus Map. Each Android phone refers to the "high location accuracy" when it uses GPS, phone movement and location sensors and local wifi networks. Otherwise it is "low accuracy" which is obtained only from the network of GSM antennas. When you turn off the high accuracy, you turn off also the GPS.

photo

Apparently, they've changed the name of things, as after digging around in location settings, I found a selection to disable WiFi and Bluetooth scanning that according to Google, 'improves accuracy...'

Thanks.

Steve

photo

Depending on the Android version, too. E.g. in A12 there is an option to switch off wifi/BT/GSM networks for location in system settings > location but directly at the app permissions settings, there is a switch to turn off "accurate location" that turns off GPS... That can be quite confusing.

Replies have been locked on this page!