Display distance markers in reverse

Andrew Heard shared this idea 13 months ago
Completed

The track distance markers are a new great feature. At present the distance increases from the start - see screenshot. My suggestion is to add a new setting to display distance to the end, then I can see at a glance how far to completion. It could also be a Quick setting. Yes, this is possible? when navigation is enabled, but I generally avoid navigation mode to maximise battery life between charging - consumption nearly doubles.5d5f7d0c10ddcf21aff9f8c7dff1deb5

Replies (7)

photo

Voted, but how do you enable these markers, please?

photo

Settings - points & tracks - distance markers

photo

Thanks

photo
photo

my ideal use-case summary:

• planning with distance markers from start
  • riding with distance markers from end

photo

Hi Andrew, guys,

I confirm that this idea is implemented in the new 4.19 version for the navigation route.

photo

Menion - excellent. I'm using 4.19.0 but the distance markers still ascend from start to finish. Is there a setting to switch between the two methods (ascending/ descending)? You say "navigation route" - I'm just discussing any saved track, and not in navigation mode, as in my original suggestion above.

photo

Ah, I've missed important info "I generally avoid navigation mode to maximise battery", sorry.

So no, currently it works only when navigation is active. Extra settings directly in the track that will reverse markers just for this track is something, I really do not want to do, sorry (markers are not so much used feature and such settings will be useful for a too small part of users).

photo

OK, understood. But that was the whole point of this suggestion. I never use navigation mode anymore as the battery consumption is 2x that of just track recording. I simply turn on the screen as needed with 15s timeout. No worries though.

photo

Not much used because users not aware I wonder? I think it is an excellent feature.

photo

Users are not aware of many features :).

Anyway, understand Andrew. Even with the automatic turning screen on/off during the navigation, you have so high consumption right? I want already for some time, optimize the performance of the navigation ...

photo

For years I used to record battery consumption along with Locus version & any other "features" that may be impacting that consumption. While cycle touring & Audax style endurance riding I would use KillApps to kill everything except LM, and disable mobile data, so the comparison/ figures were valid & consistent. My experience (will depend on your device/ size of battery of course) was that track recording used ~3%/h and addition of navigation used another 3%/h. With navigation, I had the screen turn off as soon as possible with each announcement. I ultimately decided even if perfect navigation were possible, unless coupled into your brain (maybe one day), I was always turning on the screen at other times to check the map or confirm the turn. So I now have Tasker reduce the Android screen timeout to just 7s, which is generally long enough, and simply tap the home button whenever I need to check the map. This is all a long rant sorry but explains my use-case.

@tapio "additional option/ui element" - instead of settings > Point & Tracks > Distance markers > slider/toggle, there could be drop-list (off, count up, count down). It's a little similar to the Map color mode settings (enable/ night/ contrast).

a7c2a29c116a5814bab486ddd8b65024

Seeing the markers count down on a long hard ride would be good for the soul, and got 8 votes.

photo
photo

Now I see the point of Andrew and feel a bit sorry for him. But an additional option/ui element would be needed. I was thinking if changing the order if track is selected/unselected would make sense, but I think it would be confusing.

photo

@ Menion: yes, the battery consumption is significantly higher when navigating. An optimization would be great. 🥰

Leave a Comment

Attach a file