Sharing of photos not possible after upgrade/Moved to Private folder

Stefan Schmitt shared this problem 13 months ago
Not a Problem

Hi Guys!

Recently I installed version 4.15.2 Gold on Android 12 (latest update).

Upon first start, Locus informed me to have move all data to a "private" folder on SD card as required by OS.

So I did... Since then, I cannot share photos taken during track recording (way points) with external apps, especially Signal. For years, I used to share a preview of the track (with built-in function Share - Track Preview) alongside with all WP photos to our GeoCaching team.

Since last update (and file move) this ain't possible any more, as Signal doesn't have access to the data folder containing WP attachments (that is: photos).

How do I configure Locus Map to have access for external apps again?

Thanks Guys and continue your GREAT work!!!

CU

Stefan AKA Pleitegeier250

Replies (7)

photo

Hello,

unfortunately, this is one of the disadvantages of the new filesystem.
Applications must be in private directories precisely so that they cannot "steal" each other's data.

But I can't simulate your issue. If I select the route and use "Share > Track overview" all proceeds correctly (I used WhatsApp as I don't have Signal but it should be the same).

Can you try to share the overview with any other app? Is it the same?

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

Hi Zdenek,

Thanks for reply.

As I already stated:

Sharing of track preview alone DOES work, also with Signal! What I'm missing is the possibility to also share photos of way points I've taken during track recording. I can see the photos within Locus, but I cannot share them, which is absolutely annoying to me.

Thanks.

CU

Stefan

photo

Hello,

ok, I misunderstood your previous message.

This is not possible. Only the file managers (with google special permission) can reach the private directories.

But we have plans to completely redesign the photo/attachments features. Locus should use default system folders (like "DCIM") soon, so the pictures will be available to any other app. There is no ETA right now, but the priority is quite high.

Regards,

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

I need this feature. Any progress?

photo
photo

Hi Zdenek,

ok. This is great news! 👍

Let's hope this update comes really soon... 🤞

Thanks for your reply and have a nice week then.

CU

Stefan

photo

Hi Zdenek! 🙋

Is there progress in this regard? How's the status of the upcoming update?

The new GC season has just begun and I'd really like to share my adventures with friends and colleagues...

Thanks for your great work so far and have

a Happy Easter for you and all your team! 🐇

CU

Stefan AKA Pleitegeier250

photo

Hi Zdenek! 🙋

It's been a while now since my request and a few updates have been published meanwhile, the latest one just today.

But I still see no option to change photo folder to one accessible by other apps, especially Gallery or Signal messenger.

I always need to manually export every single track point to be able to access connected photos - which is quite annoying. 😕

Any chance to mitigate this?

Thanks and keep going with this REALLY GREAT app!!!

Stefan

photo

Just by coincidence there is a parallel thread with an overlapping use case (and the same issue root cause) and this was my response (https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/34007-reduce-photo-resolution):

@Menion: since the Android 11+ "crisis" you have enabled /Android/media usage for quite a number of features, successfully. I just checked and saw that the photo directory is residing deep down in the Locus/data/media.

Then took a photo via Locus and found it there, copied to the Locus /Android/media folder

Then I checked if the Android Gallery can access this /Android/media/menion.... on SD card: IT CAN.

Hence introducing an additional category "Photos" in the folder management would solve the problem. The architecture and management of folder categories exists already, hence no heavy lifting for development, right?

Or is something like that already at hand and I did not notice?

TXs and cheers

Michael

Leave a Comment

Attach a file