This object is in archive! 

How to remove superfluous waypoints from track?

Niklas Gürtler shared this problem 12 months ago
Closed

Occasionally when (re-)routing a track, Locus Map shows a lot of waypoints with navigation hints along the track. These seem to be disconnected from the track and are displayed away from the track. They are part of the track data though, as they disappear when the track is hidden.

This is pretty annoying, as they clutter the view and probably mess with navigation along the track.

A track that has this problem contains 90 shaping points. I would like to keep these, as they were quite some work to define. I would be fine with re-routing the entire track based on these shaping points.

Copying the track while disabling "Add navigation commands" does not help. Exporting as GPX and removing the waypoints at the top from the XML file and re-importing does not help either as the shaping points are gone and instead every points on the track is turned into a waypoint(?), of which there are so many that attempting to do anything with the track crashes Locus Map.

Is there no way of removing those waypoints while keeping the shaping points?

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Niklas,

you've written this issue appears occasionally. Does it mean that the problem is not present every time you re-route a route? I myself am not able to simulate the problem - could you describe your proceedings more exactly, step by step? Maybe I'm missing something.

photo

Hi, unfortunately I could not find a way to reliably reproduce this. It happens rarely, typically when saving and re-routing the same track many times (e.g. when planning a long journey and working out the details successively).

It suspect that Locus misses/forgets the association of those waypoints with their respective position on the track. Are they associated in the database solely by their coordinates, like in the GPS file? Perhaps due to floating-point precision the comparison of the coordinates fails sometimes? As you can see in the screenshot, the points were probably generated for a previous version of the track and not deleted when I re-routed the track along a different route, so they are now "free-floating".

As a workaround, it would be fine if I could just delete all waypoints. Deleting those waypoints individually works, but since there are hundreds of them, that takes forever. Or a way to export the via points, as a lot of work went into placing them.

photo

Hi Niklas,

I'm afraid we can not solve the problem if it can't be reliably replicated. I'm closing this topic and when you have more information or find an exact procedure leading to the bug, please let us know.

photo

Could you at least provide a way to remove all waypoints from a track for when this happens? Such a function might even be useful for intentionally added waypoints. Or a way to make a new route with the existing via points while removing everything else (including waypoints).

photo

We are planning to improve the waypoint management soon.

Replies have been locked on this page!