Widget not reliable tracking - again

Jan Götze shared this problem 12 months ago
Closed

I heavily use the widget. Multiple times a day. And I use the current version of Android with OneUI 5.1 and the Lawnchair Launcher.

The widget starts tracking reliable, sometimes with some seconds of delay.

But 90% of stoppings aren't working. The tracking stopps, but the widget remains in showing, that tracking runs. And every tapping on STOP TRACKING saves the track. When I tap 5 times, the track is saved 5 times.

In the past the widget works 100% reliable but sometime with an update the problems began. Then, with some updates later, the problem seems to be solved, but not really. The widget is a very important part of LM for me. And it would be great to get it back in old working style.

Replies (15)

photo

Hi Jan,

thanks for reporting this. The issue has been forwarded to the devs.

photo

Additionally: in cases the widget is noch stopping my tracking, I open LM, and use the android back button to close the app. The next dialog to minimize and stop stopps the tracking.

This is my workaround.

But when I use this and open LM the next time, tracking starts immediately and the widget is displaying the tracking data from tracking before.

photo

This is what the widget showes since about 3 hours. Every tapping on stop saves the track. 3 times tap on stop saves the same track 3 times.

photo

Hi Jan,

I've tested the feature with the latest 4.16 version and the problem is gone. Could you please test it too? Thanks

photo

Hi Michal,

although I didn't read anything about this in the release notes (I'm not sure), the problem seems to be solved. At least today I was able to start and stop my previous track without any problems.

Thanks a lot (until here;-) )

Greetings, Jan.

photo
photo

There are no changes. I have the same problem. But I can now narrow down pretty precisely when these problems occur.

For most tracking, I arrive at a borderline internet connection. At home, I have no cellular reception and at the point where I stop tracking, only extremely poor WiFi. At work, the same scenario. And whenever I stop tracking in these places, I have the problem that it doesn't work via the widget. Once I hit stop on the widget in that area without internet, it doesn't improve later when I have WiFi.

Only when I press stop the first time and have a passable internet connection, everything works fine.

This is my experience. I don't know if that is the reason for the misbehavior.

photo

I think my last comments in connection with the Internet connection are not quite accurate. I have observed the behavior more closely. When I arrive at work, I have a stable WiFi connection. But that's where it happens that the widget doesn't work. And what's more now:

Every time the widget doesn't work, LM summarizes the tracks of the day. Even if individual tracks are saved separately. Example:

This morning I drove to work. The widget did not work. I then open LM and quit it (2x back button in Android). Then I am asked if I want to stop tracking and exit the app: yes.

The track is then saved. If I have previously tapped on the non-ruling widget, it is also saved several times. I then delete the additionally saved tracks.

But exactly when this happens, LM summarizes all further tracks of this day.

I can confirm this behavior 100%.

photo

This is what I mean. 1st track with not working STOPP on widget. Second track merged with the first one. But both in list.

photo

Hi Jan, the issue is quite difficult to simulate. We'll see if we get more similar feedback from other users.

photo

Hi, as we have received no more feedback from other users on this topic and we are unable to simulate the issue, I'm closing this topic.

photo

I would like to open this topic again. Tracking via the widget is still running with the same errors.

I would like to describe them in detail once again.

Stopping the tracking often does not work. Tapping the stop button several times then saves the track several times. The only way to finally stop the track is to open Locus and quit the app via 2x Back (message: minimize and quit).

After that, Locus immediately starts a new tracking. Or the next time I start the app.

After this behavior, it is then sometimes so that - for example in the afternoon - the previous track is saved, but Locus simply continues this track. So in the evening I have the track from the morning and the track with outward and return from the afternoon. I am talking here about my daily trips to work.

What I have noticed though is that if I start Locus and then it runs (in the background) and I start the tracking from the widget, these errors never happen. I have tested this for some time now. When Locus is running, I can stop tracking via the widget without errors every time. If Locus is not running, these errors happen.

Maybe this will help to fix the problem.

photo

Hi Jan,

unfortunately, we are unable to simulate this issue. We need more time for testing and feedback from other users.

photo

Meanwhile I am completely sure, that the not working Locus in background is my problem. Everytime I start Locus before tracking with the widget, all works fine.

photo

Hi Jan,

after extensive testing, we found something but still, the issue is very difficult to simulate. We'll wait for some more feedback from other users (so far, you are the only one to report this issue). For the time being, exclude Locus Map from all possible system optimizations that possibly prevent the app from running when started over the widget.

photo

OK. The only setting I had disabled was Locus as device administrator. I enabled it but without success.

photo

Hi Jan,

the device administrator permission should not be necessary for widgets, it is needed for automatically turning the screen on/off only.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file