should a town displayed on the map also be found with online search

Andrew Heard shared this question 10 months ago
Answered

For example at https://web.locusmap.app/en/?lat=55.018108&lng=-8.309076&z=16&map=hikeBike&poi=3697599

If a town "Anagaire" is displayed on the map, shouldn't it be possible to also find that town with an online search? For example I type "Anagaire" - no results:

f2c994ff897f2cb68b022c2b2364fd66

And when I type alternate name "Annagry", the post office is found, but not the town:

57846801ba392d76ae33d6485c4a9e3e

Replies (4)

photo

Hello again, this is most likely a mapping issue, but I have reported it to the third party service used in the background, so I can be certain.

photo

Pettipiece Pass and Mount Tabor, BC, Canada - hiking/biking destinations - not found in LM4.

Shall we REALLY use Google Maps manually and then invoke Locus???

photo

And if your search is fed by a third party as you write, they don't deserve a single cent.

photo

thanks Radim - should it be the rule that any locality visible on the map is equally possible to obtain in online search list?

photo

That would of course be the ideal state. That would be the perfect unity - online maps perfectly in sync with offline maps. Then routing data creation based directly on offline maps, let us say. Then search indexes based on what is visible in maps. E.t.c. Unfortunatelly, reality is modularized. The source of data is the same but e.g. routing data creation is completely independent on creation of maps. And there is one segment (online search for places(not points of interest)) which so far is not under our control. I know this sound silly but perfect unity needs massive rebuild of all toolsets we use in the background.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file