Bring back paid version of Locus Map

Peter shared this idea 8 months ago
Declined

Hi Locus Team,

i use Locus Map since several years and paid for it. I use it mainly for hiking and planning. Most time in the mountains, there is no internet connection so i use it with offline maps and brouter offline routing.

I would like to use the new Locus version, but a subscription is a absolute no go for me. I don't use any online service, server, whatsoever. So there is no cost for you from my side. I would really like to support your work by paying e.g. yearly for a new version with new features. I understand that you need money for development, and I would like to pay for new versions, but not for a subscription. Reading comments in the last years, i feel that i am not the only one who would love to see such a version. What if you consider a paid version with support for updates/upgrades for a year. Then everybody could self decide what to do.

Reagrds, Peter

Replies (6)

photo

There is. The new Locus Map 4 is free in the basic version. You do not need to subscribe here. If they want advanced features or remove advertising, they also do not have to make a subscription. You can make a one-time payment. Just as you suggested.
And the old version still gets updates.

photo

When i am right, the basic version does not have the map features like track elevation diagram which is essential for me. When you say that there is already a one-time payment option for version 4, maybe i missed that. Could you explain further or guide me to the the site where to find this? The only i found is this: https://www.locusmap.app/premium/#table.

And btw, if you mean the one time payment for the premium version. This is still a subscription, as the premium features will be removed after the purchased time.

My problem with that subscription, time limited feature shit is that i use Locus very irregularly. Sometimes very often of a couple days, the not for many months. In summary, maybe 10-20 days of usages per year. So i want to use it when i want with all the features as i did for Locus Map pro.

photo

one thing to bear in mind is the rate of feature rollout, theres been a hige increase in enw features since version 4, if you look at the added features of locus, compared to other apps like viewranger, the response from menion and otehrs to create new features is huge. ive had several new features added over the years , sometimes within days of asking. this is what the subscription pays for. i havent used locus on outdoor actvities for several years now with lockdown and other factors, but i still subscribe to gold simly to support, you can subscribe and not use cloud features. one way to save money is google rewards, i get over £30 a year from google rewards surveys, i buyy locus coins, and use these to pay for gold...

photo
photo

Hello Peter,

what you ask, was discussed many many many times in our team and the current solution, proved by the last two years, is the best that we may do. If you like Locus Map Classic (the former Pro version), use it. It will be, as I promised, updated till March 2027 (5 years). Otherwise good alternative is Silver Premium which has almost equal functionality as Locus Classic.

Technically, paid versions with one year support are known from PC, but this is technically extremely complicated on Android. Also, something broke almost every month in such a complex apps like Locus Map, so an un-updated version is definitely not what you want to use on a regular basis.

And btw. if you use the app 20 days per year ... this is pretty good, isn`t it? It means €10/20 = €0.5 per day for Silver.

Thanks for understanding.

photo

Hi Menion,

unfortunately we have different opinions here. I use round 20 Apps on a daily basis. That would mean 3650€/y for these apps considering €0,5/d a fair price.

I can imagine that you had many discussions over that and if you are successful with your pricing model, it seems to be the right decision for you. For me as a customer it is unfortunately the wrong one.

So i will use Locus Map Classic until 2027 and hope that you will overthink your decision by then.

photo

Hello Peter,

absolutely understand.

I can`t of course say now what will be after three years. We are still trying to find a method how to satisfy various user (and our financial) needs. That`s why we introduced time-limited payments in the app, so you may purchase Locus Map Silver for just three months (so similar to a subscription but without the need to worry about repetitive payments). Or it is possible to simply subscribe a Silver for a month and then immediately stop the subscription so you get a single month payment.

Anyway as I wrote, it is of course possible, we will introduce any other model, but can`t say and promise now. Thanks for understanding!

photo

On a side note: me and my wife as real Classic addicts would love to see a Donate button somewhere. Could be on the website too. We are using it over 90 days per year and she really masters it now. Importing tracks, guiding along a track, navigating on a bicycle, planning routes en finding bypasses etc etc.

But a changed User Interface (from switching to Locus 4) would throw her back to much. Therefore I keep her on Classic and for ease of support I keep it too.

So, once again, give us a donate button to show our appreciation for this wonderfull app in different way.

photo

That`s nice Henk, thanks!!!

And donate button? Never 😉. The time you invest here on the help desk or forum to make Locus Map better is a lot more than some "donate". And if, suggest supporting Ukraine, they need it a lot more than we ✌

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file