Automatic display of points when they are close

Peter Solleveld shared this idea 8 months ago
Gathering feedback

Missing the function of being able to have many points that only appear on the map when you are near. The same way GPI files work for Garmin. I have the roads categorized in different colors depending on the surface using points. I have like 40000 points in the folder. If I show everyone, Locus crashes. I can manually go into the folder and choose to show the points within a certain perimeter. But I want this area to change as I move.

Replies (2)

photo

Yes, I also have POI collections of several thousand POIs and sometimes use to select the nearest 50 to avoid filling the whole screen with POI.

Some thoughts about this...

1. It would be useful to select the category (collection) wich should be show the nearest POIs. For the moment I think, one selection at a time is enough although I think that it could be useful to have several collections marked to show the nearest.

2. Should the distance of "POIs to show" vary with the zoom level (visible area) or is it better to define a fixed distance? In this regard I think the amount of POIs would be a good setting, because other methods could also cause performance issues or fill the map with too many or too less POIs. It's all dependent of the "density" of the POIs in the collection.

photo

Hi guys,

you already may use "Nearest points" in the side "Map screen content" panel.

photo

I know. But since I drive motorcycle it would be nice with an automatic update when I am moving.

photo

I think you want to display only those that are currently visible in the map area. Since all 50000 show too much resources consumed.
To do this, simply use LoPoi. They do exactly that.
Maybe you have to add some categories here (create a new task for each).
And the control which one gets displayed and which not, must still be improved. But as far as I know this is planned for this year.

photo

That sounds exactly what i am looking for. How do i create my own lopoi. Do you have a guide. Please.

photo

They cannot make their own LoPoi at the moment. They are POI from Openstreetmap and possibly from public databases ? I do not know the exact basis of these POI. But the Locus team can answer that.

photo

For HowTo handle own POI, please see userguide. Example: http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:user_guide:points:import

photo

Back to the main issue. If I have 40000 points it does not work. That is why I suggested the Idé of just show the point in my area and automatically update when I move.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file