Combine the route planner and the track editor in one

Lux Calor shared this idea 7 months ago
Declined

That would be so much more useful. Many times I save the track in route planner, go to track editor to cut the part (because the part I need to re-route has so many points it is very time consuming to delete or move each point separately), save again and open in route planner. Having those in one place seems logical. Route planner and editor. :)

Replies (4)

photo

Makes no sense to me at all. They are 2 completely different functions. With one I plan a route and with the other I change a recorded track.
But maybe I do not understand you correctly. Explain what exactly you have in mind and what steps you perform.

photo

That depends on how you look at it, of course. I do many edits (re-routes) on existing quite long tracks. A lot of times I have to save the route, exit route planner, go to track editor, cut the part, save again and load the edited track back to route planner to continue editing. So it feels to me like those functions belong together. Like Route planner is basically the place to create and edit tracks.

This is not make or break though, just shared my view on this based on 5 or so years of extensive Locus usage.

photo

One other thing is that route planner has undo-redo functionality and track editor, surprisingly, doesn't.

photo

Hello Lux,

understand your point of view. A few years ago, maybe you understand, route planner and track editor were integrated into the main map screen. It became a mess and the complexity of both features was the reason I created separate screens for them. And it was a good decision.

So sorry, even both screens have something in common, they also differ in many visible things and even more in the background. Thanks for understanding.

photo

Hi Menion,

A separate screen for the route planner is actually a great idea, which works great. What I suggest is integrating track editor into the route planner screen, but still keep it separate from the main screen. We discussed this a lot in our local locus users group and came to the conclusion that this would be a natural step for usability and a very convenient thing to have, as we edit and re-route each others tracks all the time.

If it is complicated from an implementation point of view - I totally understand.

Please still consider implementing undo-redo functionality in the track editor, though. That is missed by many, I am sure.

Thank you for the continuous engagement with us users, appreciated.

photo

Hello Lux,

understand, thanks. Still, my previous post is valid.

Anyway, undo/redo ... agree. Track editor I made works in "sync". It means that every change is immediately saved into the database so undo/redo is again a little complicated here. On the second side, I'm well aware that this is a very wanted feature ... and if there will be more time & tasks related to the track editor, this will definitely come into play ...

photo

Wow, that ticket is 8 years old. Some patience would be required, I guess. :) Nevertheless, thanks for considering the issue!

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file