Locus maps support for Specialized Levo ebikes (BLE sensors)

Marco Paganini shared this question 7 months ago
Answered

Hello,

Specialized (bike manufacturer) produces a popular line of e-bikes in the US (Levo, Levo SL, Kenevo, etc.) These bikes have ANT+ sensors (which my phone can't read) and communicate with their own app using BLE. The bike sends all kinds of useful information over BLE, such as power, cadence, speed, and even other bike indicators. Unfortunately this protocol does not appear to be supported by Locus.

Some people did a really good job decoding the protocol (See https://www.emtbforums.com/threads/specialized-levo-2019-bluetooth-interface.19284/).

Are there any plans to support this in Locus? For many years, I've used Locus + Strava integration as my main recording device and it would be absolutely awesome to support for these extra sensors.

Replies (3)

photo

I assume that the manufacturer encrypts the data because he does not want to release it. The question is whether the decryption is legally legal.
Locus Map will only be able to use it if the manufacturer allows it. You have to ask the manufacturer for an API interface.

photo

I don't think the data is encrypted, just undocumented. If you look at the URL above, it seems that they just captured it and figured out the protocol.

photo
photo

Hello,

we have plans to add support for e-bikes generally, but in a legal way.

So we are now in the negotiating phase with the manufacturers.

Implementation will be the next phase :-)

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

That's fantastic news! I'll be watching the Changelogs for this feature for sure!

Thanks!

Leave a Comment

Attach a file