Purchasing "better" / more detailed offline maps

TomasV shared this problem 7 months ago
Not a Problem

I would like to purchase a better set of offline maps - specifically USA and Canada. Here is an example:

When I am at home and plan a ride, I see all of the old roads and 4x4 tracks - this is using the online maps (no cost):

7ac5004e31ac9149a744f5ebece7be58

And this is what I actually see when I am out there - flying completely blind :-(

This is zoomed in on the small spur you see in the middle - just to make sure I did not need to zoom more - nothing, no roads, no info:

54dd09c6b7f341adbd964adb8e6d4aef

I love using Locus Maps and I am recommending it as a complete solution for ADV riders, together with an Android tablet and remote control. But in more and more cases the maps are just not comparable with Gaia or Garmin.

I am happy to pay - is there a way to fix this? The maps MUST be offline and be able to cover large areas - for example this ride was from the Canadian border in Washington, to Oregon and back up to Idaho.

THX!

Replies (5)

photo

BTW this is using the purchased LoMaps for WA, OR and ID - same in Canada or Hawaii

photo

Hi Tomas,

in the US, you have these options:

- offline LoMaps - based on OSM data (the same as the online maps you posted), available in packets per state - more at https://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:user_guide:maps_locusmaps

- NeoTreks maps - (a.k.a AccuTerra maps) based on combined data from OSM, USGS and other sources, available in packets per recreational area - more at https://neotreks.com/maps.

- USGS Maps by John Thorn - USGS data combined with OSM, USFS, available in packets per state

All maps are available in Locus Store. NeoTreks are not in any list, you can get to them by searching in the Locus Store

photo

Thanks Michal, LoMaps is what I have been purchasing - see below. Is there a setting to enable to get the same road/track displayed when offline? They are definitely not showing the same level of detail when online vs offline.

THX!

Tomas

7919b905b3c7809081b57be8d6a38981

photo

Hi Tomas,

you have obviously quite obsolete offline LoMaps. The latest batch was released in July 2023. If you need the same level of detail, please update.

photo

You can also upgrade to Locus Map 4, with the Gold subscription you get all the maps for free and you will be notified when there are updates to the maps. In addition, they support the great app in development. LM4 is much much better and has many new features.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file