Terrible search results

Forsberg shared this problem 9 months ago
In Progress

Hello,

I wondered what is the point of Search Online in Locus Map if the results it provides are terrible? They rarely match anything at all.
I type a popular clinic name in my city in Google maps - I have at least 3 clinics.
I type the same in Locus map (Google selected) and I see 5 results 100 km further, in various cities (while none in my city). I type a popular market name - locus 4, google maps 16.

Is it possible to make results as good as in Google maps? Or perhaps make Locus access such results so it could be just a one click to start navigating to that particular point?

At current state Search is totally useless, sorry....

Replies (3)

photo

This is not a mistake. The search is simply not better at the moment. The search is only just beginning. It will get better over the next few years.
You can use Google for search. Just put the app in the sidebar. When you have a result in Google go to Share with Locus. Then you have the location in Locus.
From time to time you should use the Locus search and share bad results here. Otherwise it can't get any better.
https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=8436.0

photo

Thanks!

photo

I gave up reporting nonsense results. Not worth the effort sorry. Results from countries at top of list that are 1000's of km away when there are valid POI within walking distance. Use LM for offline POI & Maps for online POI then Share with LM. As mentioned that is an efficient combination.

photo

Funny. A straight search does not show my nearby Aldi. But going through "points nearby" does show that one and the others in a logical order of distance.

photo

The best way to find an Aldi is on Google Maps. Such large companies maintain their data in maps very accurately. Whether they also do this in OSM is not certain. and LoPoi offline are only updated every 4 months.
In Maps you can be sure that you have very up-to-date data.

photo

@freischneider - but Locus search uses Google's engine or so the results should be correct. Imho this is a one of the worst thing in Locus, never fixed for years.

I even considered Locus Map 4 but it per interface and options it seems like a backward compared to 3, especially still lack of vector map text rotation.

photo

I cannot say what is used in LM3. Because this is an LM4 post here. But in LM4 the search via Google was switched off. There was a lot of discussion.
But there is a good link to maps in LM4.

photo
photo

Hi guys,

could someone please post here a sample of the clearly problematic search?

Mainly

• your current map screen center
  • your current location (approx.)
  • search query
  • and also a screenshot of the result that does not match the expected result should be useful

Radim will gladly look at it and explain the result ...

photo

have supplied many examples a year ago when LM4 online search was radically modified

photo
photo

Also a language currently set in Locus, if that is not very obvious please.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file