Background GPS access

Goosien shared this problem 6 months ago
In Progress

In location settings in Android, Locus maps frequently appears as having recently accessed gps. I can be using my phone randomly, having not used Locus for days/weeks (sorry), spot the gps in use icon in Android, check the settings, to see that Locus has used gps. Any ideas why?

Replies (18)

photo

Hello,

is Locus really turned off? Maybe it still running in the background.

Regards,

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

100%. Phone gets turned off at night. Phone's been on 30 mins this morning. *checks GPS recent access* - 1 min ago, weather wallpaper, 1 min ago, Locus, 2 mins ago, Google maps (location sharing), 7 mins ago, weather app, 8 mins ago, watch app (for weather).

photo

If you open the task manager, is there a Locus running now?

Please, create a video documenting this issue.

If you don't know the right app, I would suggest AZ Screen Recorder for screen recording: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hecorat.screenrecorder.free

Thank you.

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

Apologies, I can't record a video of me not using Locus?

Attach screenshot of GPS history.

On the task manager front- I can't find such an app or setting. I also believe Android stopped apps seeing the resources of other apps, so I won't be able to locate such an app. However, I've attached a screenshot of an app (System Panel 2, no-loger available in app store) that comes close to showing you the information.

photo

Continued gps usage.

photo

Hello,

I need to see if Locus is among the active apps, or not.

Is it here in this list of apps (no matter how deep)?

27dec59bce692687535ac260a0983cbf

And what happens, if you kill it here?

Thank you.

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

Hi, it is not visible in the switch apps screen, nor in the 'active in background' link on that page. Yes Locus is showing as having very recently accessed GPS still.

photo

Hello,

please, follow this:

• Download the latest beta version from here: http://bit.ly/lmVersionsTest
  • After installation, run the app and long-press the main menu button ( 65ab74f02671fb4a2ceb0db7c0510f6e )
  • Choose the "Log to file"
  • Select the "Log to file" and "LOCATION & GNSS" category
  • Then close the app, wait for 10s, and run it again.
  • Try to replicate all your issues (it will be logged this way)
  • After that, send me the logs which will be created in "Android/data/menion.android.locus.pro/files/Locus/logs"

Thank you very much.

If something isn't clear, feel free to ask me.

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

I installed the beta, set up logging - I added Initialise also. I opened the app, closed it, then at 10:30 I rebooted the phone and did nothing else with the app- I didn't attempt to access it. At about 10:51 it accessed gps.

photo

Hello,

unfortunately, there is no GPS usage by Locus in the Log. You can check it by yourself.

You can find the "LOC-" entries - there is stated there, that you turned the GPS off and it is off since then. So if anything uses GPS, it is something else, not Locus.

At the end of the Log, there is information, that app checks day/night mode every 5 minutes (this is very likely bug) but it has nothing to do with GPS.

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

I think the log is only showing access by the app where there is an additional function to log that access.

It is reasonable to assume there is an oversight in another function using GPS that hasn't an additional function to log that access, particularly since I'm looking here at a presumed bug. Unless the logging is a layer outside Locus watching its every access, logging must be coded alongside known access and is therefore subject to oversight.

You could presume my Android is misrepresenting another app's access as Locus, but then why Locus and not some other app?

So, I tried disabling Locus' permission to GPS at 8:30 and I can see on that screen that Locus made no further access. Later, just after 15:00 I enabled access, then pretty soon that screen logged another access by Locus.

photo

Hello Goosien,

as a main app developer, I'll try to help here solve this small mystery.

Thanks for the logs and screenshots. If I understand correctly, the problem is not the battery consumption. bu the simple fact that you see Locus Map accessing your location.

In your last log is clearly visible on the last lines, that Locus Map is touching "getLastKnownLocation" method. Because it check exactly in five minutes interval, it have to be a small service that check when the day/night starts/ends because of map themes and app light/dark mode. This should consume no battery and runs always when the app is at least partially active.

So the question here is why app do something when you do not use it at all. I'll try to improve this a little to the next app version, so app should not at least check for location when not active!

photo

Hi, apologies, but this is still an ongoing issue. Cheers.

photo

Maybe when autobackup awakes Locus?

photo

Probably not, because it happens many many times a day.

photo
photo

Hello,

let's try to look at it. May I ask you for a repeat of the Beta test described by Zdeněk before? I've prepared a special version (download here) that will print more info about access to the GPS. Please do not forget to enable logging of "Location" to the file.

And please let the app be installed a little longer. Even a day may be ok. You wrote that the app accesses location more frequently, so more records in the log may be useful. Thanks a lot.

photo

Apologies, I can't find a way to access the application's data folder this time, to copy the logfile.

photo

Hello,

thanks for the logs! Unfortunately, I do not clearly see any reason why the app still on the background check for the day/night mode (that causes GPS refresh). There is some other reason hidden from me for now. Anyway, I made at least a small update in the app, so give a try to the new version, if it helps a little.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file