Android maps in unsupported path

Colin Dawson shared this problem 5 months ago
Solved

Some time this year my offline maps folder became unsupported:

<my phone>\Internal storage\Locus\mapsVector

I see the new default folder is:

<my phone>\Internal storage\Android\data\menion.android.locus\files\Locus\mapsVector

...so I have moved the files in Windows file explorer.

I likeswise tried to move data files from

<my phone>\Internal storage\Locus\data\database

To new location:

<my phone>\Internal storage\Android\data\menion.android.locus\files\Locus\data\database

I have large waypoints and tracks files.

Problem: if I try to move anything into the new location I just get a Windows "ding" sound and nothing happens. How to I keep and continue using my tracks and waypoints? Will Locus do this automatically?

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Colin,

open Settings - Backup & Filesystem - File system manager - Set the main directory - 3 dot menu by the "Private folder in internal storage" - tap "Select". Then go to Settings - Backup & Filesystem - App data transfer - Load app data - continue. It is necessary to select the original "\Internal storage\Locus\" directory for data move.

photo

Hi,

thank you for the detailed reply. There are 2 things that aren't working for me.

(1) In the first procedure, "Select" is not an active part of the user interface - it is just passive text. So tapping that does nothing. I did make a manual note of the path, but not sure what to do with it.

(2) In the second procedure, I navigated to the Internal storage path as described in my first post. That produces an error screen that says "Not the right directory. This directory can't be transferred. Please select the directory with Locus Map 4 data.

I don't know how to respond to this.

photo

Hi Colin,

I am sorry for the inconvenience but I'm afraid after your selective data transfer attempts the folder structure now is unsuitable for the automatic data load. You have to move all the data manually via a PC file browser (Total Commander is recommended):

- attach your phone to a PC via USB cable and allow file transfer over it in the phone

- open a file browser in your PC and find the /Locus/ directory in the internal storage of your phone

- copy the /Locus/ directory to /Android/data/menion.android.locus/files directory (overwrite the new /Locus/ folder in there)

- disconnect your phone from PC and restart Locus Map

photo

Hi, thanks for following up ... but this is pretty much where I started off? I get Windows ding sound and files not moved. I don't see to be able to put anything into that /Android/data/menion.android.locus/files directory.

You suggested the Total Commander file explorer - does that have particular capabilities that Windows File Explorer doesn't have?

photo

It has more authorizations to read certain directories. However, you must allow them actively. I don't like it that much. Use x-plore
This one works the same way.

photo
photo

Hello @ freischneider, thanks for elaborating about that. Total Commander is a Windows app, but it looks like x-plore is Android? For the moment I am just looking for a Windows method, I think moving files around the file structure within Android would be pretty hard, i.e. can't have origin and destination paths displayed.

The Total Commander is an old school "exe" download and install, that's pretty scary these days.

I'm thinking the only safer pathway no is to completely blow away Locus and start again? Hopefully there will be a way to restore my data?

photo

Hi Colin,

do you have the "file transfer" enabled on your phone? Not just USB charging?

photo

Hi, I might not be understanding that question. Is there an Android option that must be set to enable certain types of file transferring? I normally use Windows File Explorer for anything related to file manipulation, including media and previous updates to Locus.

I * think *the data transfer has been successful, the target folder has a tracks DB 11.7MB, same as source DB. File explorer didn't give any feedback (like progress, or number of files moved) ... just angry "ding". Anyway ....

I've renamed the source file / folder structure, just to make sure Locus is really running off the new files.

thanks for following up 🙂

Leave a Comment

Attach a file