Locus stops recording after prolonged pause

Sarah Gregg shared this problem 2 months ago
Not a Problem

Recently (since last Locus update?), on my Android smartphone, I've found that after I've been stationary in one place for a prolonged length of time, Locus stops recording and remains in that position with a short section of track evidently extrapolated (see gpx attached). It does not respond to manually repositioning using the centring icon on the screen. The only way to make it resume correct positioning/recording is to close the track, then exit/re-enter the app, after which it behaves normally. It is important for me to keep the app recording even when I'm stationary as I use the track to subsequently georeference photos taken in that location. As far as I can tell, I have all the settings optimised (Locus as a service, no battery optimization, etc.) and I have used Locus literally for years without this ever happening until the last few weeks. Any ideas?

Send DataSend Data

Replies (6)

photo

OK Locus as service is confirmed.

But what Phone type? Android version? Locus version? Always screen on?
Note: Locus 4 free does not offer set always screen on .

photo

Locus Map Pro version 4.21.1
GPS ON for track recording
GPS ON for guidance
Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy A52, SM-A525F/DS
Software: Android 13
Always screen on: disabled

Note that previously it worked perfectly and I haven't changed the settings since then. The problem seems to have arisen at only after the last app update. Let me know if you need other information.

Send DataSend Data

photo

Hi Sarah,

I'm not sure what is happening, nevertheless I would recommend to check:

- that Locus Map has "all the time" permission to access precise location

- is excluded from ALL means of battery optimization (more at dontkillmyapp.com/samsung)

Then I'd try :

- to turn off "Auto-pause" in the track recording profile setup

- to turn on or off (depending on your current setup) Google Services assisted location

photo

Hi Michal and thanks for your suggestions. I'll work through them in the next few days and see if anything helps solve the problem.

Send DataSend Data

photo

I've been playing around with the settings suggested and no luck I'm afraid. I tried an experiment a couple of days ago with two smartphones. The other is a Samsung Galaxy XCover 4 running Android 11. The Locus version is the same as were the settings. On the A52 the problem reoccurred, on the XCover on the other hand, it worked perfectly. I'll just have to hope it miraculously disappears with some future update of either Locus or Android. In the meantime, I'll be using the XCover as a GPS.

Send DataSend Data

photo

Hi Sarah,

regarding your last update, I assume this issue is device-specific so I'm closing this topic.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file