Huge MBTiles offline map / Locus does not start

Sparx82 shared this problem 41 days ago
Not a Problem

Hi All,

I have here a huge MBTiles file with a size of around 393Gb. It is already in the correct directory for offline maps. If I start LocusMap the first time with this map copied to the directory it just hangs. I assume it is doeing something in the background because if I use a smaller map (around 100Gb) it takes like 15-20 minutes for the first time startup but next time LocusMap just starts normally. The maps are both the similar with the bigger only having one zoom level more.

Is there something I can do to make LocusMap start even with the big file? What is LocusMap doing in the background? Can this be avoided?

Thanks!

Oliver

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Oliver,

Locus Map is designed for ordinary mobile phones. Indexing a 393 GB file is obviously way above the performance threshold of your mobile phone and the app is stopped by the "out-of-memory" status.

photo

Hi Michal

Thanks for your answer. Does this mean there's no possibility to do this? You marked it as "Not a problem" but for me it is one :-)

Is there any other offline file-based format which could be used and doesn't show this problem. As we are dealing with more and more data in the future, I'm pretty sure this will pop up again.

Best regards,
Oliver

photo

Hi Oliver,

I'm afraid there is no possibility of indexing a 393 GB map file by a mobile phone. Divide the file into smaller parts or download the source data in more parts or use vector maps instead. Anyway such a huge file is a total record breaker in the history of using Locus Map.

Marking the topic "not a problem" means the topic is not a problem of Locus Map.

photo

Ok, thanks. It's actually a detailed layer of satellite pictures, therefore vector would be a little bit difficult :-) I also have the images available so I can create whatever database out of them. I might try GEMF which should be able to split the database into several smaller files.

Glad to have broken the record ;-)

photo

Just a short update: Using the GEMF file-databse format it works perfectly

Leave a Comment

Attach a file