There are enough reasons for dynamic changes in altitude shadows.

ColdAutumn shared this idea 25 days ago
Gathering feedback

I have actually tried to suggest the dynamic display of the shadow of altitude, but I have never found a reason to convince enough. Now there are:

1, The current shadow of altitude, including color display, is all based on huge global altitude.

However, when we actually use the map, especially when we magnify a area, it is clear that no one will care about the relatively global altitude location of this area.

2, Therefore, when the user zoom in a area, he is obviously more concerned about the altitude changes in the current area.

But, the current shadow effect is almost completely unchanged in the plain area.

The effect in the mountains is also very limited.

3, A better display method is based on the maximum and minimum altitude of the current area, and even allows enhancement.

For example, in the plains, when encountering floods or heavy rain, users can quickly know where they are relatively higher and safer.

Therefore, I look forward to improving the shadow display, many thanks.

Replies (3)

photo

Hi there,

I also support the idea of having dynamic colorshading based on the displayed area with an explanation of the colors.

It's funny, because I also suffered from not having a dynamic colorshading to altitudes without having to care about which area I want to be displayed. The included templates of Locus are not very useful. So I fiddled around with research how to have a better template with reasonable steps. I documented my thoughts and created 4 colourcycling templates which work all over the world (-422m at death sea to 8848m at Mount Everest). I used Excel tables (libre office tables) for calculations of the steps and creation of the lists.

Until the feature of dynamig colorshading is implemented, feel free to try out my templates to get a glimpse on how it could be.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/dkx2mq3smupgjmft94bv9/AHulH_4mMty5shXtb3wCeQU?rlkey=07wxtptgas61x7wgrn4bswtli&dl=0

To use the templates, you have to move them to the speciffic folder in Locus (if not existent, create it). It is recommended to not use the restricted private "data" folder in Andoid, but to move the Locus files by the new Locus feature:

Android>media>menion.android.locus>data>interpolators .

Just copy the 4 cpt files to there and then start Locus, go to the setting of map shading, choose a template that roughly fits your needed resolution and enjoy colorful altitude displays.

The other files in the dropbox folder are only for additional information on how I did it and as a template if you want to do something like that with different colors.

Peace!

photo

Dynamic color shading is so important. We have been asking this for years to Locus team. Hey Menion!

Druki, I moved the 4 cpt files do Android>media>menion.android.locus>data>interpolators, but they didn`t show in Locus.

photo

@Ricardo B.: Is this the defined main working directory of Locus on your phone? If not, you need either copy the files to the coresponding path under Android>data... path or with Locus 4.22 move the main directory.

photo
photo

Hello.

It may help. Choose the minimum and maximum altitudes, then colour style and the file is automatically created in Locus.

https://maps.melda.ru/cpt-gen/

photo

@Agus,

no, this method is still just generating a static file which can't be used in a general way like a dynamic colorshading or a colorcycling for all altitudes.

Problem is: worldwide we have a range of about 9300m (lowest to highest point) and human eye can distinguish about 200 colors.

So adaptive steps of recognizeable colorchanges due to the current usecase (area to display) is necessary (we name it "dynamic colorshading" here 😉), you don't want to create a cpt file each time you want to see a different area of the world (or of your current hiking area).

photo

As long as the Locus team wants to include dynamic shading I think this site is a good alternative. You can choose a range of altitudes, it is not global.

I have tested your file and it shows the same colours for very different altitudes, it creates confusion.

Best regards.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file