Move to media folder messed up a lot

Wolfgang shared this problem 16 days ago
Not a Problem

Today I tried to switch (4.23.1) to the media folder which messed up a lot. After the switch I missed all themes - maybe also other stuff.

So I restored from backup, what also restored the original file location. Still missing themes. Then I restored a second time to the old file structure and now it looks better. The themes are back.

But I lost the default map settings in the themes and I am no more able set them manually. It's just ignored. I also miss elevation data of my maps.

I had a lot of attachments (photos) linked to points. The folder seems still to exist but the data is no more linked.

Not sure what all else is missing....

I took me a lot of time over years to setup all as it was - but that's really an absolut disaster now!

I really don't know how I could fix it to old settings without loosing (bought) maps, photos and all other settings....

I have a Samsung xCover Pro 6 with Android 14 - Patchlevel 1.04.2024

@locus team please help

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Wolfgang,

could you please describe accurately step by step how you proceeded when "trying to switch to the media folder"? Did you change the whole app directory or only the MapsVector subdir? What map themes did you use?

photo

Hi Michal,

thanks for your replay. Attached 3 screenshots for the move option and the used themes. If you need any more information to get this fixed please let me know. I would be happy to get all running as it was - even if it's in the old structure.

Thanks Wolfgang

photo
photo

So you tapped the /Android/Media/ option in the "Set the main directory" setting, all data moved successfully except your external themes? Did you have the original mapsVector directory within the app's main directory or was it somewhere else?

photo

Yes I switched the main directory. And I never switched any directories before not only a single one.

All of the themes where lost I guess my dashboard too. Routing data a am not sure but elevation data was also lost.

I quickly tried to workaround with the restore from backup as initially described - but this did not repair all. I am no more able to configure maps in presets - they just are not saved. I still miss elevation data, In other words it's a mess even I made a backup.

photo
photo

Hi Wolfgang,

it's difficult to evaluate what exactly happened and what data were retained or deleted, but let's try this:

- connect your phone to a PC and allow data transfer

- copy the entire /storage/Android/data/menion.android.locus/files directory

- copy the entire /storage/Android/media/menion.android.locus directory

- un-install the Locus Map and reinstall the newest version from Google Play

- run the app and restore the last backup made via the app's backup manager

- if you like, migrate the main directory to /Android/Media

- then check what's missing in the main directory - copy the missing items or data from those two directories copied to your PC. Pay special attention to proper storing of the raster maps to "maps" and vector maps to "mapsVector", "data/srtm" and "data"/media" etc.

photo

I did all like you described and bevor I started with the restore I checked that in media and also in data the folder menion.android.locus was successfully removed. After the restore I moved the main folder to /Android/media.

There have been no offline maps after the restore - that was as expected so I first copied the whole content of the mapsVector and maps directory from my computer to the smartphone.

Because I don't want to mess up something what is missing when the arrow is oversized like you see it in the screenshot? Is there a missing config file or what is it?

photo

Go to Locus settings > Controlling > Map screen > Map cursors > set the icon size to 100%

photo

The menu, you mentioned, was the right one and the size was right too but the restore seemed to mismatch the choosen Map cursors. I had installed and chosen the "Locus (v. 2014)" cursor but after the restore locus switched to "default" even there was the cursors set locally available. Could this be a bug in the restore process?

photo

That's difficult to say, I'd rather assume the newly installed app lost the path to the custom cursor (it wasn't added from Locus Store)

photo

I remember it also happend when I tried the first time to move the main dir from data to media. Shall I open an extra thread to get this analysed and fixed or shall we just ignore it? I am almost sure it's a general problem, but I guess not a lot of people installed a different cursor set

I got an error message (only once) when I went to Locus settings > Controlling > Map screen

photo

As we don't register more backup restore reports, we don't think this is a general issue.

photo

Ok I'll do a test with a different clean device and let you know if it happens again.

photo
photo

So far it looks good with your help :)

For the moment it looks like there is only one problem left :)

I have attachments (photos) of a lot of waypoints. The photos are still on my phone and have not been affected by the whole restore process after the crash.

How do I get all these photos linked again to my waypoints?

photo

I'm afraid this is only possible manually one by one. Locus Map newly creates copies of the attached photos and stores them within its filesystem so that the links between points and photos are not broken when the app or the attachments are moved elsewhere.

photo

Thanks your information helped :)) I found them in my manual file backup -> menion.android.locus\data\media\photo

photo
photo

For the moment I am very happy :D Many, many thanks for your great support :))))

I have some points mentioned regarding backup/restore/move I will test this with a plain android device and open separate threads if I identify it as an issue.

Have a good time. This thread can be closed.

Wolfgang

Leave a Comment

Attach a file