Maps Online vs Offline "speed"

Relish shared this question 11 days ago
Answered

i have a Galaxy 23 Ultra and Locus Map Gold.

I have downloaded the Germany North/South Offline Map.

My Question is why it is so slow on zoom in, zoom out and movements on the screen like a god damn Garmin Navi?
Shouldnt be that scroll as fast as possible when the map is local stored (offline)?

because, using Locus Onlinemap is noticeble smoother than offline maps.

On the other side maybe another Question: Why is Google Maps (always online)

SUPERsmooth and way way faster on movements, zoom in/out.

I have also the Motorcycle Navi: Kurviger. Its also super smooth and maximum fast.

Locus is way behind. I used also Locus 3.x some years ago but it was kinda same experience.
you can count "nearly" the tiles poping up on map movements.

can anyone explain why its not that smooth on that highend smartphone?

Replies (3)

photo

I have the feeling that since a few versions of Locus 4, the performance of drawing vector maps (LoMaps as well as OAM Maps) has dropped. I have no numbers, but I often realize that I have to wait a few seconds which was not the case some weeks before. The change of the basic path could not be the reason, could it?

(I don't want to touch to verify, because there are some "issues" at migrating base directories).

photo

Hi,

where do you have the /Locus/mapsVector/ directory?

photo

My basic path is Android/media...

photo
photo

does any kind of "official" support answers here in the forum?

photo

Yes, it does. What is the path to your /mapsVector/ directory? Could you please send a screenshot of the settings > backup&filesystem > file system manager > set custom subdirectories?

photo

i didnt changed anything after install.

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/menion.android.locus/files/.....

photo

With this configuration you get the fastest experience with vector maps. Unlike the online maps that consist of raster tiles, displaying vector maps like LoMaps or OAM maps includes rendering of raster tiles from vector data within the app which takes some time. Each kind of maps have ups and downs:

- online raster - quickly displayed when there's good internet connection, even quicker when the map is cached after some use (LoMaps online, Google Maps etc.). No maps when there's no internet.

- offline raster - quickly displayed, but engaging huge storage, approx 10x the size of vector data. Not so many zooms, often a bit "blurry" resolution. (IGN, SHOCart, Outdooractive...)

- vector maps - a bit less quickly displayed but with small data amount, with many zooms, with sharp rendering - LoMaps, OAM

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file