Inconsistent handling of GPS position when creating points

hewitt shared this problem 3 months ago
Solved

I'm saving points in LM while hiking in order to edit OSM later based on these notes.

In LM3 I used "gps position/my location" as the default setting for new points for years without a problem and it works as expected.
I add a point then use speech recognition to add a title or I type it in. During this I can walk around to check the location for more info or I just continue on my hike while editing the description. The point will be at the position where I pressed the "new point" button.

But this is not how it works in LM4 and I wondered for some time why the points where in the wrong positions.
The problem is that in LM4 the default setting "gps position/my location" doesn't save the position when clicking "new point", it saves the position when I finally save the point. That means that if you move after choosing "new point", the point's position will not be there where I expect it.

But this difference to LM3 is not the only inconsistency.

Even worse, when manually changing to "my location" in the point dialog LM4 will actually save the current position and it doesn't matter if I move afterwards. This applies even if the "my location" is already selected as per default setting.

TLDR:

With "gps position/my location" as the default these are the different scenarios

- "New Point" action at location A, dialog pops up
- move to location B
- save and close point dialog
- point will be positioned at B

- "New Point" action at location A, dialog pops up
- choose "my location" as the position even though it is already shown as the current setting
- move to location B
- save and close point dialog
- point will be positioned at A

Expected behavior: Point will always be saved at position A when "new point" is selected.

PS: As a bad workaround I use "hold map center" and "cursor position" for new points. This way the current position is taken when adding a new point and it doesn't matter if I move afterwards. But I hate this because it is very error prone.

Replies (2)

photo

Hi,

the reason for adding a new point after saving its dialog was that the app didn't detect if the location was accurate enough for such action. Nevertheless, we've tweaked this so that the app checks the location validity and if GPS is fixed, it adds the point immediately, without waiting for the dialog. This change will be available in the next app version.

photo

Thanks a lot.

I see that it was made for good intentions, but it was very confusing and not practical.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file